Laundry Soap question

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I've tried one recipe for homemade laundry detergent and I like it. Lots cheaper, works better, etc. It's 1 bar grated/pulverized Fels Naptha, 4lbs washing soda, 4 lbs borax - all mixed together and use 2-3 tbsp per wash load.

But I've seen other recipes. Some call for Zote Soap, Octagon, or even Ivory. Some use baking soda instead of washing soda (I can understand that - washing soda can be difficult to find, and I have to make my own anyway), and some use baking soda AND washing soda.

I guess I'm asking, is one formula "best?" I also find myself wondering if washing soda and baking soda together is overkill? What about the different bar soaps; is there one of those that is better than any other?

I do have access to all of the bar soaps, btw (well, I didn't specifically look for Ivory, but I'm just assuming...), and the Octagon is the cheapest. But I know the bars are different sizes, too, and I haven't compared price per size unit, just price per bar (quickie look to see that they were locally available).

And one thing I've seen mentioned, but haven't seen is castille soap. What is that?

Thanks for your help!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just like the phrase "There is only one perfect child in the world and every mother has it"....I would figure that everyone's personal fave homemade recipe is the very best one they would recommend! :D

My mom and I have experimented with other soaps than the FN and have found them wanting, so we just don't mess with perfection on our liquid version of the FN laundry detergent.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you use your homemade stuff in HE washers? My dh would be furious if I messed up his fancy purchase,so I have been buying HE soaps and softeners only.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use homemade in my HE frontloader. Works just fine. I think the HE special soaps are just low suds (with a higher price).

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have a HE washer, but the recipe is actually for a HE washer.

Thanks, y'all, for the help - keep the input coming :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use less water in my recipe of the soap and it works fine in my new front loader HE washer. Only thing I have found is that my less water soap kinda got grainy with the cold weather(our laundry room and back area of the house is just minimally heated) But it seems to work just fine.
I think that castile soap is made with olive oil? But not a 100 percent sure. Ok just took a quick google trip and most castile soap is made with olive oil.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I leave mine powder- I didn't like storing and the consistancy of the liquid- and I use it in my HE frontloader. I just make sure I drizzle it in while the water stream is running into the washer. I also use Fels- we like the smell of it, and it's probably more of a laundry soap than ivory or castille (more lye heavy, less superfat).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Castile sap is made from olive oil. Iam about to make some liquid castile soap. It's supposed to be good for replacing hand soap, shampoo, dish liquid, and other things. Also supposed to be good for your hands, which I need! It's basically lye, water, and olive oil. I'm kind of scared of handling the lye, so hven't made it yet :rolleyes: I've had the stuff for ages, just haven't done it. What can I say...I'm a sissy :lol: