Laundry Solutions / Upcycle Clothing

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I soaked it overnight in a solution of washing soda, tide free/clear powder, odormute and BIZ. The first two are for removing oils, the second two are for removing organic material (sweat, etc).

It wasn't as bad as I expected. View attachment 20395

do you find that sometimes it is better to use some things apart from others so that they don't neutralise each other instead of actually doing something to the problem materials/issues? i know Mom often washes dishes with soap and bleach mixed together but i always wash something with soap first and then rinse before using a little bleach (she can use a gallon a week, i can use a gallon a year so that tells you something about our different approaches to how we do things - today she asked me to do the birdbaths because i use a few tablespoons per birdbath and she just dumps a lot in there and ...)... so anyways where was i? besides daydreaming about nuking that light green shirt...? ... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't even use bleach except to sanitize. I have high iron water and it reacts poorly. Have to use Clorox 2 to keep lighter clothes from iron staining.

i'd like to get away from it but Mom likes the smell of it (which may explain a lot of things about my childhood and allergies, etc).

iron stains here too. well water with some calcium and rust. all whites are eventually orange. i don't care. Mom is offended by things that aren't white. all fixtures are white... *SMH* i'd put in rust colored everything and call it done...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
do you find that sometimes it is better to use some things apart from others so that they don't neutralise each other instead of actually doing something to the problem materials/issues? i know Mom often washes dishes with soap and bleach mixed together but i always wash something with soap first and then rinse before using a little bleach (she can use a gallon a week, i can use a gallon a year so that tells you something about our different approaches to how we do things - today she asked me to do the birdbaths because i use a few tablespoons per birdbath and she just dumps a lot in there and ...)... so anyways where was i? besides daydreaming about nuking that light green shirt...? ... :)
Detergent and enzymes work well together. You're right about bleach though. Wash first, then bleach.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Results
20220924_211408.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My next project is a 100% silk turtleneck. From ThredUp, paid $3.90 on final sale (clearance, as is, no returns)

Shirt looks dull, feels coarse/scratchy, is shrunken and has pit stains. Looks like a laundry problems to me! I'm curious what will happen 😁 due to shrink I dont expect to add it to my wardrobe. Its like XXS, size 0-2. Labeled S size 4-6.
I was curious and tried the shirt on. The neck was shrunk and wouldnt go over my head. Not even close!

I cut the turtleneck off and tried it on. I was wrong about the fit! :O Lots of stretch in rib knit! I could wear it!

I decided it was worth $3.99 to dye it to a color I like. I plan to use the fabric from the turtleneck to make a finished neckline.

Progress picture while drying
20221012_104208.jpg

Latest posts