lay offs

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
as you probably know i am a firefighter. I work in a major city and we got word yesterday to expect cut backs and were ordered to begin cutting back on items we use if at all possible and that there will be no new hires in the near future. I have also heard of city's laying off police and firefighters because of the economy. Just curious what your city's and towns are doing during these rough times and what your opinions are toward this. I know that police and firefighters are not immune to the layoffs but it usually hits us last if at all. Just curious. Also after seeing all the idiots on t.v. on black Friday i am not sure if there is any economic trouble, these people were acting like animals and spending like there was no tomorrow. whats your take on that too.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The two local fire departments are all volunteer.

Haven't heard anything about local police lay offs... they don't have many personnel.

The local school district is $500k in the hole and laying off service staff, which includes (most likely) my DH.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Our fire department is also volunteer. I haven't heard about the police or sheriff's departments. I usually see several of these guys at work on the weekends and no one has mentioned anything. Our parish has cut back to two ambulances for the entire parish. We only have two crews working at any one time for the entire parish. But that cutback occurred 2 years ago and didn't have anything to do with the immediate issues in the economy. They seriously can't cut back any further there, because these crews are already run ragged.

As far as people spending like crazy, I did go out on Black Friday. What I noticed was that the toy areas weren't packed at all. But the clothing areas were completely swamped. People were packing up on all the cloths on sale. So yes, people were spending. But I saw a shift of spending to more "needs" then "wants", at least in our stores.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I know that our city is in a financial mess. I do not know about police & fire departments.

I do want to comment on the Black Friday thing. While most of us on this board are frugal, most of our society is not. We (as a whole) spend spend spend...then try to figure out how to pay the bills. :barnie makes me crazy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
firem3
I haven't heard about any layoffs etc. effecting our fire and police dept. But I will be opening my ears now and checking into it out of curiousity.

It is a BAD thing when it does get down to the people who protect and rescue. Layoffs in these depts. are scary for me.

I hope you are not on the list or anything. I hope all remains ok for your position. Tony is on layoff...with a little sporatic work that they bring them in on....he is off 14 days right now, then back to work for 1 1/2 weeks...which is 6 days for him.....and then layoff for 4 weeks into January. Ugh. I got fingers crossed all returns to normal into January for his work schedule.

We need police and fire to not cut their personnel.

Around here burglaries are up definitely. Criminals are getting more brazen...just walking in and robbing the smaller stores during broad daylight. My little convenience store up the road used to be open til 9 am....he is now closing at 8. He said that last hr. is not worth any more trouble it might bring. So everyone is being effected.
huh?

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our local police dpt. is having a major lay off due to federal grants not coming through because of over crowded jails and no budget to build a bigger facility. I think it was affecting about 50 thousand dollars worth of employment, I'd say that adds up to several employees.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That is something that I never want to see- laying off of firemen and police. Those are the basic basic needs.
Usually our area is strapped financially anyway so when things go bad in other places, it seems like normal to us- we are always on the edge.

I was really surprised about the amount of shopping, especially amoung teens buying games and such. I think people are a little tired of being careful and feel that the worse is over maybe- my splurges have been buy a really warm pair of boots.

I was also feeling a little up since the news was so involved in politics that I was not getting the nightly dose of worry from them. Maybe others feel more relaxed last week too because of this.

I have been pretty good at predicting the stock market ups and downs (not that I have anything invested,) as I usually base it on how I feel about things and assume that many others are the same. But I was really surprised at today's drop- the shopping being reported as good and all. I thought that would mean a little up not down. Why I took comfort in that??? Maybe because if I could predict that, I felt I was not going to be unpleasantly suprised by anything- yeah right. :idunno

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was really surprised about the amount of shopping, especially amoung teens buying games and such. I think people are a little tired of being careful and feel that the worse is over maybe- my splurges have been buy a really warm pair of boots.

****yea most teens don't have a sense of financial reality. not cause they weren't taught right and all, just cause they are teens! :)

but yes, I hear you. Alot of people are feeling more secure. just cause gas prices dropped. heck no people, this ain't over. wait until after the new year to see how many more big companies are closing and tons of people out of work.

grocery, "stuff", etc. prices are still increasing.

not over by far! :(