Learning to Knit

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

Happy New Year everyone!

I think you would all be fascinated by this site. It is a Dutch site -- but if you PRESS THE BOX labelled ENGLISH SITE in the left-hand column all will be understandable.

http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/

It is FULL of free patterns & charts, tips etc. Down the left side is a long list of what she writes about. I find it very usefull. A great friend of mine introduced it to me -- he is a professional knitter. It took me a while to find my way around but it is really worth the effort. It also has masses of info on crochet, embroidery, cross-stitch & dolls -- all with photographs, charts etc. Good Hunting!

Hope it will interest you! :D

Hattie

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Hi there! :frow

Happy New Year everyone!

I think you would all be fascinated by this site. It is a Dutch site -- but if you PRESS THE BOX labelled ENGLISH SITE in the left-hand column all will be understandable.

www.jessica-tromp.nl

It is FULL of free patterns & charts, tips etc. Down the left side is a long list of what she writes about. I find it very usefull. A great friend of mine introduced it to me -- he is a professional knitter. It took me a while to find my way around but it is really worth the effort. It also has masses of info on crochet, embroidery, cross-stitch & dolls -- all with photographs, charts etc. Good Hunting!

Hope it will interest you! :D

Hattie
Unfortunately this is what I got when I clicked on the link:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at www.jessica-tromp.nl Port 80

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Nevermind, at first that didn't work but then I tried again and it did. Weird. I think my computer is hung over this morning or something. :lol:
Off to explore the site!

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm loving all these sites!

I've finished one dish cloth-- gave it to the lady who taught me my first stitches. 3/4 way thru a scarf for another lady at work. Decided I really wanted to start another dish cloth ( a pattern I found thru one of the sites linked here) and got half way thru that tonight.'
Hopefully, tomorrow I can finish both, and get on with another project!! We have LOTs of snow falling, so sitting indoors is all I can do right now-- and knit!!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have tried to learn how to knit, but I guess I just don't have the dexterity or the patience for it. I don't even understand how to read one of the patterns.

I guess it's just something that doesn't interest me much. But, I do love a nice knitted scarf and hat.

Good luck on learning. :thumbsup and be sure to post some pics.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll post pics soon!
The pattern reading part is hard for me, too- so I'm doing really easy stuff right now, with alternating knit/purl, etc. so I get used to the patterns. I'm choosing progressively more difficult patterns, so I can learn to read them better-- it's what's scared me away from this before!
If I look at more advanced patterns, I still get confused, because the wording can be misinterpreted, so I'll be asking a LOT of pattern questions when I get going!

punkin said:
I have tried to learn how to knit, but I guess I just don't have the dexterity or the patience for it. I don't even understand how to read one of the patterns.

I guess it's just something that doesn't interest me much. But, I do love a nice knitted scarf and hat.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Thanks! I'll post pics soon!
The pattern reading part is hard for me, too- so I'm doing really easy stuff right now, with alternating knit/purl, etc. so I get used to the patterns. I'm choosing progressively more difficult patterns, so I can learn to read them better-- it's what's scared me away from this before!
If I look at more advanced patterns, I still get confused, because the wording can be misinterpreted, so I'll be asking a LOT of pattern questions when I get going!

punkin said:

You'd be surprised what you can make with just the knit purl stitches! (everything, really) Hint: When you pick up a pattern that you find difficult, don't try and preread the pattern...just start at the first line and do it as you go...trying to pre read them can be very confusing and irritating!