Learning to Knit

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks.
I've only glanced at the patterns, to see if there are techniques I dont' know-- then I'm going line by line. I've even got grids of little boxes to check off as I go, so I know what I've done, and where to pick up again. The cloth I'm working on now is really neat-- and coming out just like it should!!

MorelCabin said:
NurseNettie said:
Thanks! I'll post pics soon!
The pattern reading part is hard for me, too- so I'm doing really easy stuff right now, with alternating knit/purl, etc. so I get used to the patterns. I'm choosing progressively more difficult patterns, so I can learn to read them better-- it's what's scared me away from this before!
If I look at more advanced patterns, I still get confused, because the wording can be misinterpreted, so I'll be asking a LOT of pattern questions when I get going!

punkin said:
I have tried to learn how to knit, but I guess I just don't have the dexterity or the patience for it. I don't even understand how to read one of the patterns.

I guess it's just something that doesn't interest me much. But, I do love a nice knitted scarf and hat.

Good luck on learning. :thumbsup and be sure to post some pics.
You'd be surprised what you can make with just the knit purl stitches! (everything, really) Hint: When you pick up a pattern that you find difficult, don't try and preread the pattern...just start at the first line and do it as you go...trying to pre read them can be very confusing and irritating!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
I have tried to learn how to knit, but I guess I just don't have the dexterity or the patience for it. I don't even understand how to read one of the patterns.

I guess it's just something that doesn't interest me much. But, I do love a nice knitted scarf and hat.

Good luck on learning. :thumbsup and be sure to post some pics.
I asked my mother to teach me to knit, but she was not a very good knitter, and also left handed! I could not figure out how to do what she was doing, so I gave it up as a bad job. Some years later my MIL offered to show me, and, despite the fact that she was German, and spoke no English, I was able to learn from her. The trick was, I think, that the Germans, and other central Europeans (not the French or English) knit while holding the wool in the left hand, and just slipping the righthand needle through the stitch, and looping the wool through - none of the throwing the wool around the needle with the right hand like most Americans do. It is so much easier, and quicker, (and less energetic! :lol:). If you can find a person who knits in this European manner you might ask for lessons; it really is, IMO, a much easier way to knit. (I have taught myself the "American way" since, but I still find it very awkward, and only use it when I am knitting with 2 colors).

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Feel free to ask questions!

Really easy first sweater patterns are Icelandics- knit in the round up to the armholes, knit each sleeve in the round up to the armpits, join them all together and knit the chest and neck. No seaming! (well, 8 stitches under each arm) And it's a great way to learn to change colors.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And, as to reading patterns, knitting is basically just knit and purl. Anything else is a variation of that. Its the abbreviations used to explain those variations that cause the problems IMO. But most beginner type patterns will explain the abbreviations up front, and for those that don't a quick search on some of the knitting sites should be helpful, or bring the questions here :lol:. And I agree with the recommendation to not try to fathom the instructions right from the beginning; sometimes trying to read them makes no sense, you just have to get in there with needles and wool and try it out. After you have done your swatch to check the gauge do another to check the pattern. And have fun ;)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Wow, that European purl looks way complicated. I don't want to work THAT hard ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
ORCHICK...european...like this...it really does look easier!

the knit stitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkpBpmNeWB4

and the purl stitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpcJ7mZGlZI&feature=related

You tube really can be to our advantage!
Thats not the way I was taught, and looks way more complicated.

This is how I do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhF6gnQ7sU

And this is a comparison between the two - this woman looks only slightly more accomplished with the "right handed method" than I am :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YApHTXDWQ&feature=related