Leaving a legacy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Must be old age setting in but here lately I've been thinking a lot about leaving a legacy for my family. It started off with buying homes when I moved from NC to southern IL.

I still own my NC house and have it rented out to one of my daughters and her husband.

Then I bought another home in town. I fixed that one up (still more to do) and have that rented out to another daughter and her husband.

One of my sons and I run my sawmill

I've been thinking about opening a German themed 1 barrel brewhouse pub & restaurant. One of my other sons is a manager of a very popular BBQ chain and he can cook up a storm. one of my other sons is a manager at a very popular and sucessful tavern. Both of which goes hand and glove together.

Is this normal when you get older, to start thinking of things to give your children when you pass away? I mean you can't take any of it with you when you die.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is this normal when you get older, to start thinking of things to give your children when you pass away? I mean you can't take any of it with you when you die.

for some of us it is a bit more difficult. aka no children. i keep trying to find anyone in my family that would be a good steward or that i would trust with whatever is left once i'm gone. i'm worried. some of the younger generation have had "problems" of various kinds where giving them any kind of extra may be a very bad thing as they'd likely "blow it" or "relapse". ugh. if i had any of the younger generation interested in organic farming i'd give it all to them as part of a foundation or trust so that it could support them, but they'd not be able to drain it so it would eventually help out others in perpetuity.

at the present there's a good chance i'll just aim it towards a nature type organization and hope they can do good with it to help heal the damage and preserve whatever wild lands they can that are left.

i'd also like to support gardening in space kinds of efforts, where they actually work on full environmental systems studies and practices and not isolated and sterile or poisonous practices.

we are, as of yet, fully biological creatures, as much as we may think we are apart from the rest of this life cycle my own observations are that we're not apart or isolated and we need to figure out how to work with it and within in much better than we currently are... so, um, i would be putting my money where my mouth is...