leaving butter out

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Mine is in an uncovered dish on the counter. It never lasts more than a few days so freshness isn't a problem. Although at 64 degrees spreadablity can be questionable!
Yeah, ours is not very spreadable in the house this time of the year either because it is usually so cold in our house.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am talking about butter. We were given a thing of margarine the other day...and we had ran out of butter....it was NASTY!!! I haven't had margarine in years. I thought I was going to gag!! And I grew up on margarine.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've read that margarine is only one molecule away from plastic and was originally designed to fatten turkeys in Europe. Said that you can leave it outside for days and the bugs won't even bother it! Could be an urban myth, so I don't know. We don't do much butter here...real or otherwise. I would probably use it more if I could make my own! :) My grandma didn't refrigerate her butter but would keep it in a cool cupboard during the summer months.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
We put our butter out to soften in a butter dish on the counter. Yum!! you guys are making me hungry! :lol:

I'm going to go make some toast....

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We leave ours on the counter in a covered butter dish. Sometimes, in the butter bell. I'm not totally sold on the butter bell.
We've never had it go rancid or fuzzy, but it usually doesn't last that long. And, there's usually no more than a 1/4 of a pound out at a time.

My family is big on toast - homemade bread toasted with homemade butter and/or homemade jam.
Yes, they are spoiled!LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea a butter bell is a good option and they are pretty too!
For those who'd like to try it out without buying a butter bell -- although if anyone in Canada wants one, you can have mine free if you wnna pay shipping :) -- just put the butter in the bottom of a teacup or coffee cup or such. The butter has to be softened enough that you can sort of spread it down in there, occupying only the lower half of the cup and so it'll stay put when you turn it upside down. Then turn it upside down in a small bowl with 1/2-1" of water in it. There ya go, homemade butter bell :) The only disadvantage over a store-boughten one is that because there's likely to be a wide gap between the cup and the bowl edge, the water evaporates kind of fast so you need to keep a close eye and replace it whenever needed.

Pat

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I keep a 1/4 lb. of butter in a pottery dish with a heavy cover. Our last cat (Possum) was a butter licker and we learned our lesson!:)

Latest posts