LED Lighting Is Really Here!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have some LED prototypes on our home. A friend of ours ws working on a design for them, and gave us a sample. Currently they are in our garage.

This is his company.

http://www.engsysinc.com/ He was the same guy who we were going to get the wind turbines from, but it is still out of reach for our pocket book.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
WAAAYYYY out of my price range for a light bulb at this point.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully they will be like the spiral bulbs, and the price will come down and they will show up at Costco and Wal-Mart!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am glad the tech on leds is getting better but I will have to pass for now. 130 bucks is probably around what the lighting portion of my bill costs a year.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'm sure LEDs will come down in price. Only a few years ago I bought LED Christmas lights and paid through the nose for them. Last Christmas they were in every discount store around for under $5. The LED flashlights have dropped in price, as have the outdoor solar LEDs, too.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the sites I posted in the first post has a way to compare prices between using LED and conventional bulbs. Some of the bulbs I looked at were about $60 and still there was a fantastic savings in one year. These LEDs can last 35,0000 hours!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Hey first post -

We have been using LED bulbs on our automatic equipment for several years now and not seen the price drop much, we even buy them by the thousands and still pay $45 a piece for them.

Don't let the 35,000 hour or 20 year lifetime fool you, though some may last that long, we have them failing all the time, they do however run circles around incandescents.
In our application it pays to have them because it increases production and actually has a payback.

Unfortunately I will not live long enough to see these bulbs get down to a cost where I would buy them, the self sufficient retirement cabin I'm building will be using CFLs. The 2 dozen bulbs I bought 5 years ago cost a dollar a piece and are still going strong.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be interested in a CFL that can be used on a dimmer... I've heard that they are out there somewhere but can't find them..

anybody know?

so far I don't really like the kind of light CFLs put out..put I put up with them.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I would be interested in a CFL that can be used on a dimmer... I've heard that they are out there somewhere but can't find them..

anybody know?

so far I don't really like the kind of light CFLs put out..put I put up with them.
They do make both dimmable and 3-way CFLs at about $10 each, all CFLs of better quality can be had in almost any temperature color, if you go to a better lighting store they will have them.

Walmart sells the better GE dimmable bulb for $11, you usually have to use the "site to store" pickup feature from their website but it works nicely.

Here is another place, but then you have to pay shipping.Green Lighting