Leftover mashed potatoes

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I created The Potato Omelet

Melt tbsp or 2 bacon grease or butter in a 8" skillet. Scramble one egg and a couple tbsp of milk/cream/1/2&1/2. Stir in one portion size of mashed potatoes (2/3 cup?). And more garlic powder and salt, if they didn't get seasoned well the first go 'round (oops!). Meat (I've used turkey and shredded pork now), stirred in is optional. You have to flip it in sections. I flip it twice and then put cheese on top (again optional) until it's melted. Slide out on a plate, and top with ranch dressing, then enjoy!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
You have leftover mashed potatoes?! That has NEVER happened in my family! :gig
Same here...and there are only the 2 of us! LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If plain ol' potatocakes are too prosaic (although with fried onions and/or lil bits of fried sausage mixed in before frying the cakes, that dresses them up considerably) try

-- fish cakes (canonically with reconstituted salt cod, but pretty ok with any other reasonable kind of white fish or even with salmon)

-- potato stuffing (it is a side dish not 'stuffed' into anything, recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch side of my family is at http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=659

-- crepes with mashed potatoes and leftover pork inside and gravy on the outside.

Pat

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, we had leftovers :hide As my mom said, I forgot I wasn't making mashed potatoes for my ex, who would devour a 10-lb bag worth of mashed in less than 3 days.

I've been really enjoying my potato omelet creation! And thanks for sharing the potato stuffing - that sounds most yummy, and I do believe I will be trying that

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make potato salad if I ever have left over mashed. Add boiled eggs, onion, sweet pickles, mayo, mustard. Yum, Yum. I'm the potato salad queen in our family and usually used boiled potato chunks, but mashed work just as well.

If we just have a little left over, hubby makes potato pancakes for his breakfast - stir in an egg and some flour with pepper and fry up in that good old bacon grease. He never met a potato he didn't like and will sometimes chop up and fry them for breakfast. He cooks his own, I just grab whatever I can find: cold, left-over pizza is a favorite.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
justusnak said:
tortoise said:
You have leftover mashed potatoes?! That has NEVER happened in my family! :gig
Same here...and there are only the 2 of us! LOL
No fair, you guys said what I planned to say.

But I was going to add, I have a Jamaican friend who makes something she calls "potato ball". She adds spices to mashed potatos and shapes them into meatball size balls. She deep fries these and serves them with a lamb curry dish and a kind of Jamaican pita bread she called Roti (sp). She lives far from me now and I haven't eaten this meal in 15 years, but my mouth still waters with the memory. :hit I recently found her through FB, I should ask her for the recipe. Only problem is I remember watching her make it and it seemed to take forever!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
leftover taters
funny, but I just plan a meal with gravy over the next few days and use 'em up again lol as a regular old mash tater and gravy

if I eat beef gravy and taters then within 2 days I have chicken gravy and taters...........:/ so easy for me lol