Leftover .......?.......

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oddly enough, although Irish boarding school ruined me for several food categories, shepherd's pie was not one of them. I liked the version the school cooks (I use the term loosely ;)) made, and I like my own. However, DH does not, so we don't have it very often.
Potato pancakes with mashed potatoes are great, and I make them fairly often.
So, what do you do with other leftovers? I just made a white (chicken) chili with the rest of the roast chicken, which went over well. It seems that a lot of people use up leftovers by piling them in a baking dish, and covering them with cheese - Hmmm ... sounds good to me :drool. Unfortunately, my poor deluded DH doesn't eat cheese :)duc), so that isn't an option I can follow. He also has totally different food memories than I do ... so comfort food for him does not equate to what I think of in that category. I've learned to adapt over 38 years, but I still sometimes feel like :he. He likes to try new things, just not too new. No that's not right. New is good. Leftovers (obvious leftovers) are not so good. I think it has something to do with growing up in post war Germany, at a time when food was still kind of scarce.
Any suggestions are welcome.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Leftover potatoes? That just means I didn't cook enough steaks. I guess I'd have to make one more to go with the taters. ;)

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made it, shepherds pie, with cubed deer steaks last night. I also had run out of cream of mushroom soup, so I had to make my own. It turned out pretty good.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Freeze it! or make Lefse. Looks like a flour tortilla, but tastes better. Add enough flour to the leftover mashed potatoes to make a dough. Roll them out, plop them on a dry griddle, turn when light brown spots appear. Butter 'em up and eat, or tear and eat with soups, etc.

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Our version of sheppard's pie uses beef, and then frozen veggies, and then is topped with creamed cauliflower instead of mashed tatos. Gives it a really unique flavor and isn't quite as heavy as the potato version. We're trying to go lower carb, and that works pretty well!
Can I get your creamed cauliflower recipe?