leg o' venison recipes needed

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received a good sized leg o'venison frozen. I need to cook this in one shot. It'll just fit in my tiny oven, so there is no way to cover it up, except with foil on a cake sheet. Any ideas on how to cook it and not turn it into a rock o' venison? I can do it outside on an uncovered grill or open fire if neccesary.

thanks,

john

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Take the bones out, clean up the meat, bake it so that it makes it's own gravy.
Do NOT leave the bones in the meat unless you want it to taste very "gamey"

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You can also give the meat a little marinade for about 24 hours before cooking. I like soy sauce and Lousiana hot sauce in about a 60/40 blend. Don't worry the Lousiana will not make it too hot when used as a marinade like this. Another good marinade for venison is a good drinkable burgundy. After the marinade is complete drain well before roasting.

Or you can use a dry salt rub with garlic, thyme and some rosemary, again leave it on overnight or 24 hours. Rinse the salt of before roasting. Then reapply the garlic, thyme and rosemary.

I think the venison really benefits from a little pre-treatment of some kind.

I like to cook game meats, like venison on a fairly low oven about 325 F. Try for a finished internal temperature of around 160 F, making sure the thermometer is in the thickest part of the meat. I usually take it out of the over at about 155 F and let it rest covered for a while before cutting. This allows the meat to continue to heat through and reach the 160 without overcooking.

The same thing can be achieved on the grill if you watch the grill temps. I keep the meat tightly wrapped in foil usually with some slice onions and possibly some celery added to the pack. The crunchy veggies add a steam that keeps the meat more juicy. Also when I grill I like to add a little fruit wood (like apple or pear) to the coals. It just gives a little added flavor to have the fruit smoke.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies,

It is thawing now and will be ready to be de-boned tomorrow at the earliest, thanks for the tips.

john