Leggy Eggplant and Pepper seedling question

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since I started them in the shed, in mini greenhouse flats, they didn't get enough light but after two failed attempts, I finally got the seeds to germinate.

My question is:

Since they are in the same family as tomatoes, can I pot them deeper which will add soil around the stems up towards the bottom leaves, like you can with tomato seedlings? :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Since I started them in the shed, in mini greenhouse flats, they didn't get enough light but after two failed attempts, I finally got the seeds to germinate.

My question is:

Since they are in the same family as tomatoes, can I pot them deeper which will add soil around the stems up towards the bottom leaves, like you can with tomato seedlings? :hu
:thumbsup Yes on the peppers, no personal experience on the eggplants as I've never grown them but it would probably be fine--hopefully someone else knows for sure!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, moolie, I appreciate it! :hugs

If I don't get an answer about the eggplants, I'll be doing them anways...and then we'll have an answer! :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be sure to let us know how it turns out :)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll definately let ya's now how the eggplant experiment goes. ;)

This is my first year growing it from seed. My mom turned us on to the Japanese Pickling Eggpant last year, and we loved it, so we're trying to grow our own this year. :fl

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that link, Drake Maiden! :hugs

I was coming up with about a 50% says yes/50% says no...that link had just the information that I was looking for! Awesome! :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You are welcome! Thankfully, I remembered the name of the type of stem that easily grows new roots and that got me the answer. I'm glad I could help! :) Good luck with those eggplants!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You taught me something new today, too! :D Never heard the word adventitious before! :D