Lehmans catalog, other catalog shopping

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do you order from Lehman's? Do you know of a lower priced catalog with the same quality? What other catalogs do you order from? We order things from GVS 1-800-398-2494 and love it, but they dont have much in the say of animal products or work tools, kitchen stuff, etc. We order from Lehman's when we have the money lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've not found another place that has stuff like Lehmans has.

I've ordered online and been at their store. That is a great place there.

Sometimes I find what I'm looking for at the antique sales and antique stores around here (there are a LOT).

Sometimes ACE Hardware has some of the things I'm looking for. Of the chain stores, the are the only one that tends to carry more of the processing and kitchen stuff.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Do you order from Lehman's? Do you know of a lower priced catalog with the same quality? What other catalogs do you order from? We order things from GVS 1-800-398-2494 and love it, but they dont have much in the say of animal products or work tools, kitchen stuff, etc. We order from Lehman's when we have the money lol
I have looked through Lehman's but thought it was pricely. I have spent about $5K with Lee Valley over the last 10 years or so. they are located near the Canda-US border and I think they have stores up there. they have four product lines. Woodworking tools. Gardening Tools [includes kitchen stuff], Hardware and Gifts. To be honest most of the woodworking tools are high end. high quality, high price tools. What I call lifetime tools.Their garden tools cover a bigger range You can spend a bundle on Stainless Steel tools imported from the UK or get working tools mostly from China where a lot of farming is still done with hand tools. Hardware- lots of stuff that is hard to find [have you ever looked for casket handles?] Gifts are pricy but around X mass they have a lot of old style kids toys and old style decorations.
Where they often hook me is with their special offers [sigh up for email!!] Years ago they located a stash of German hand forged kitchen knives that had been in storage since WWII I bought one of everything they had and paid less than 2$ each while the same famous brand was going for $50-100 in fancy stores here. Yes I had to clean the grease off them and give them a final hone but they were carbon steel instead of the Stsinless Steel which is what I usually look for.
Special offers are often new items that they hope will be popular and the price is lowered for a limited period. Limited stock means they bought out the whole stock and when they are gone, they are out. About every 2-3 months they offer free shipping for larger orders so I will put stuff in my 'shopping cart' and wait for the free period. Check them out at http://www.leevalley.com/US/home.aspx I forgot to mention that their customer service is really great!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, Lehman's is good, and I agree with ~gd that Lee Valley's various catalogs have a lot of good stuff.

In Canada, there's an outfit called Berry Hill that has some things for the small farm and for country living, similar to Lehman's. They used to publish a print catalogue, and maybe still do (though possibly they've phased it out and take orders via online only ??).

For kitchen type stuff, if you know what you're looking for and know it by specific name, Amazon.com is a place to look.

Speaking of tools for outdoor work, there's a professional forestry equipment company called Ben Meadows that for many years has sold the kind of practical and tough - and in some cases, specialized - tools that make a good investment:
http://www.benmeadows.com/newstore/ProductIndex.aspx?byAlpha=true

Very high-quality tools can often be found in larger secondhand stores and pawn shops, but I've found it's generally not very good with these when they're located in smaller towns (the largest towns nearby where I live are only 10,000 people).

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
Blaundee said:
I have looked through Lehman's but thought it was pricely. I have spent about $5K with Lee Valley over the last 10 years or so. they are located near the Canda-US border and I think they have stores up there. they have four product lines. Woodworking tools. Gardening Tools [includes kitchen stuff], Hardware and Gifts. To be honest most of the woodworking tools are high end. high quality, high price tools. What I call lifetime tools.Their garden tools cover a bigger range You can spend a bundle on Stainless Steel tools imported from the UK or get working tools mostly from China where a lot of farming is still done with hand tools. Hardware- lots of stuff that is hard to find [have you ever looked for casket handles?] Gifts are pricy but around X mass they have a lot of old style kids toys and old style decorations.
Where they often hook me is with their special offers [sigh up for email!!] Years ago they located a stash of German hand forged kitchen knives that had been in storage since WWII I bought one of everything they had and paid less than 2$ each while the same famous brand was going for $50-100 in fancy stores here. Yes I had to clean the grease off them and give them a final hone but they were carbon steel instead of the Stsinless Steel which is what I usually look for.
Special offers are often new items that they hope will be popular and the price is lowered for a limited period. Limited stock means they bought out the whole stock and when they are gone, they are out. About every 2-3 months they offer free shipping for larger orders so I will put stuff in my 'shopping cart' and wait for the free period. Check them out at http://www.leevalley.com/US/home.aspx I forgot to mention that their customer service is really great!
Too cool! Thank you!!!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lehman's has some great stuff, and I've ordered from them...pleased with the service. But I've often seen the same things on other sites that are less $$. So, now if I see an item I'm interested in, I google it and see if anyone else has it cheaper....Amazon often does.