Lemon Bars fit for a king (or Blackbird)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i can't take any credit for these AT ALL. Bourbon Red, who is a master chef, gave me the recipe which he claims came from the back of a flour bag. there is no way.. i think angels flew down from heaven and whispered this winner in his ear..

in his own words..

Heavenly Lemon Bars

Mix:
2 c flour
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 c butter
until crumbly. Press into a 13x9 inch pan (across the bottom and maybe a half inch up the sides...)

Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes till light golden brown.

[NOTE: do not make the topping until JUST before the bottom is done. Also - I used 2 duck eggs of the total 4 eggs for custard-y deliciousness.]

Shortly before it's ready to come out mix:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/4 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 c lemon juice

When the base is 'light golden brown' pour the freshly mixed filling into it and return it to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes till the top is light golden brown and not so jiggly.

[Note: my oven is notoriously slow.. but these finished really fast. Next time I'll go with 15 - 20 minutes.

Cool completely.

Dust with powdered sugar.

Note: that whole "cool completely" stuff is a buncha hooey... we didn't wait AT ALL and they were perfect. in fact, we ate half the pan the first nite..and yeah, it was as bad as it sounds... do the math in your head about how much sugar and fat we ate. ohh.. it was worth it....

:)
ps dang.. now that i'm thinking about it.. i need just one more bite...

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh I can not wait I am making these tomorrow. I got a bag of peaches in the clearance bin that had 1 huge lemon in it. Perfect timing I was trying to figure what the heck to do with it. I bought all the bags they had and only 1 had the lemon. Granted it was huge but what do you do with 1 lemon aparently Lemon bars yeah.
thanks so much

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These are so awesome. I have this exact same recipe from an elementary school cookbook. You know, the kind where the moms donate recipes, then they make them into a book and sell it? Anyway, my mom noted that she made it in '04, and added a bit of lemon extract because she was short on lemon juice. :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OMG... pregnant women should not be allowed to read the recipes section at 12:30am...

I think I have all the ingredients (is powdered sugar the same as icing sugar?) I only have granulated, brown, yellow, and icing sugar.

oh.... I want lemon bars :)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
OMG... pregnant women should not be allowed to read the recipes section at 12:30am...

I think I have all the ingredients (is powdered sugar the same as icing sugar?) I only have granulated, brown, yellow, and icing sugar.

There is such a thing as yellow sugar???

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
hwillm1977 said:

There is such a thing as yellow sugar???
It's just a lighter yellow version of brown sugar... I had a recipe that called for it, so I bought a bag at the bulk store. I can't really tell a difference between that and brown sugar.