Lemon curd

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Extra eggs time of year so I make lemon curd. I've been using Alton Brown's recipe last several times.

Ingredients
5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Directions
  1. Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Now this may be canned. It's got a short shelf life of only a few months or there may be separation. Special instructions for water bathing or the sudden heat can cause separation as well. I'll copy those here from the preservation site.

Half pints only for 20 minutes.

"Fill boiling water canner with enough water to cover the filled jars by 1 to 2 inches. Use a thermometer to preheat the water to 180°F by the time filled jars are ready to be added.

Caution: Do not heat the water in the canner to more than 180°F before jars are added. If the water in the canner is too hot when jars are added, the process time will not be long enough. The time it takes for the canner to reach boiling after the jars are added is expected to be 25 to 30 minutes for this product. Process time starts after the water in the canner comes to a full boil over the tops of the jars."

No special procedure needed for steam canner as that starts out cold. I've had no issues whatsoever using it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds good, what do you make with it? Pie is a no brainer, but what else?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Eating with whipped cream? Shortbread cookies?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bet that would be good mixed with pound cake batter or just plopped on top of a piece of pound cake.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Try it on hot gingerbread.... out of this world!

I've also made Lime Curd using essentially the same recipe... yum!

Latest posts