Let me pick your collective brains brains...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well due to circumstances beyond my control, we will be adding a Goat and doelings to our homestead in the coming days. No calf or cow, just not happening right now. I have a few questions for you all about milking procedure, and a feed question.

This is what I think the milking procedure is, would you all clarify it with me?

1. First off clean all supplies
2. Put goat onto milking platform
3. Wash (what with?) and massage the udder.
4. Milk each teat out and look for blood/mastitis.
5. Begin milking into container, I don't have a milk bucket yet. But will be using a half gallon jar for a little bit.
6. Milk each teat completely out.
7. Dip each teat in a gentle iodine.
8. Take her off the stand.

Will an oat/cracked corn mix be a suitable grain mix, and how much?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
3. warm soapy water.

On the feed, I'd not do corn so much. And ammount depends on breed/size and condition.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Goat shed is almost done, water pan is drying. So is the feed bin, and my temporary milk stand is constructed. I need to clean and wash the strainer now...

Blarneyeggs

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Barred Buff: just wanted to say that I have been been following along, reading your 'Gladys' adventure and that you've really inspired me, Thank you. I'm guessing that things didn't work out for a cow this time around, I'm sorry to hear that - and amazed at how quickly you're pulling things together to go a differerent route, landing on your feet and inspiring me once again.

I'd never in my life even considered a cow until I read your thread. We're not in the market for one yet, don't have a barn.... Or even a fence for that matter. But at least it seems... possible. Thanks.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey BB. Congrats on the goat. Last year I was "thrown in to" being owned by a goat in milk. I say being owned...because when it comes to a doe....she really does "call the shots" some days. I just wash with very little soapy warm water...and dry her udders well before milking. Don't want to make those teets raw! She will let you know, for sure. After milking, same thing, wash and dry. I have an old Enamel pot, with a lid....no cracks in the enamel..works great. For feed, I was told my her previous owner a pound of feed for a pound of milk...so basically a pound per quart given. My Suzie gets dairy goat pellets, 1 cup + 2 cups all stock + 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets and 1/2 cup of Calf Mana......twice a day at milking time. Hay all day with water, salt, minerals and baking soda for her to eat as needed. Good luck with your doe!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Homestead is now officially setup for electrified fencing... :D

Latest posts