1 one inch binder wtih view front
1 pr headphones

donations:
packs of construction paper
dixie bathroom cups
extra snacks/cereal
packs of copy paper

WELL---that is what I will be getting at Walmart...lol

going next week for this and some new clothes and shoes.

WHAT is on your list?

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to get lists like that plus a fee! Just you wait, 2 kids in college, their books totaled $1600!:rolleyes: Enjoy it!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well... my nephew is 8th grade
Eighth Grade:
3 Packs of loose leaf notebook paper (regular rule)
3 Packs of pencils
1 Red Pen
3 Packages of 5 dividers
3 Packages of pens (blue or black ink only)
1 Pack of colored pencils
1 Pack of markers
2 1 Binders
1 Inexpensive calculator (Math and Science)
1 binder
1 Dictionary for home use
1 Small (closed in) pencil sharpener
2 Folders with pockets and prongs
1 Ream of copy paper (8 x 11)
Eighth Grade Homeroom: We would greatly appreciate a donation of 2 boxes of Kleenex, 2 bottles of hand sanitizer, 2
rolls of paper towels

ART CLASS SUPPLIES:
1 Pack of wooden pencils
1 Fine point sharpie marker black
1 Pack of colored pencils
2 Glue Sticks
1 Pink eraser (no cap erasers)
1 Hand held pencil sharpener
1 One gallon-sized zip lock bag (to store supplies)
1 Paper folder with prongs and pockets

BUT I looked up 1st grade where they went to school and this is the list:

FIRST GRADE
24 Yellow Papermate pencils #2
1 pair Fiskar Scissors
3 solid color spiral notebooks (70 sheets wide ruled)
2 Duo Tang folders (plastic) w/ pockets & prongs
4 Packs Crayons (24 pack)
1 Plastic School Box
3 (4) Oz bottles of glue
2 Boxes of eraser caps
8 ct. Watercolor paint trays
Markers (fat & skinny)
Germ-X (Hand Santizers)
Colored Pencils
Highlighters (Assorted colors)
Copy Paper

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:th Never in my 12 years of public school did I ever get a fraction of that list. Maybe a pack of pens and pencils for the family and one or two notebooks each. That was it. Period, end of sentence. Don't lose your stuff. Maybe that is why today I have a small cupboard filled to the brim with "office supplies!" :lol:

I think I might still have my box of 64 crayola crayons in my craft supply closet....the one I got in grade school. In the original box. I was expected to take care of my stuff and appreciate it.....although most of my school chums didn't and even as a child that shocked me.

Yowza. Times have changed! Is it normal for teachers to send out lists asking for donations? And why does every child need white board supplies....so the teacher doesn't have to buy them since the school has no budget for supplies?

The things I don't know since I don't have kids! :p

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With a 6 million dollar budget for 200 total student K-12 here they bettah supply school supplies or I'm running for the schoolboard again. What a crappy 2 terms that was when I served. What waste in the system and people say all the time. "It's for the kids" .....RIGHT???

Czechin_it_out

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
99 cent store is where we get most of the school stuff unless there is a sale where we can can get more for less...which isn't usual.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For both my Jr. High kid and my High School kid (both in French Immersion schools) all that is required is binders, lined paper, "duo-tangs" (3-prong folders) for each subject, graph paper, whatever they like to write with, geometry set, coloured pencils, scientific calculator, resource books at home (dictionary, thesaurus, French/English dictionary, French dictionary, The Elements of Style by Strunk & White). Art, metal or wood shop, textiles or foods, drafting, journalism, computers etc. may or may not have special requirements or fees for supplies that we will learn the first week of school.

Both my kids (14 and 15) still have their original plastic pencil boxes from their early years of Elementary school containing their scissors, white glue, crayons, erasers, whatever pencils and coloured pencils haven't been totally ground down over the years, etc. along with their geometry sets are from when we bought them in grade 6. They are still (re-)using the same scientific calculators, binders, and duo-tangs we bought when they each started Jr. High. They also both have a sewing kit containing needles, pins/pincushion, scissors, tape measure, seam ripper etc. that we bought them when they each started Jr. High. Heck, they are still using their lunch bags from grade 5/6 along with the re-usable water bottles, sandwich and snack boxes they have been using since they each started kindergarten--and only each had one other lunch bag prior to these ones.

I still have my own scientific calculator (still running on the original batteries over 25 years later!) and drafting scale ruler from when I was in Jr. High as well as binders from my High School and university years. I buy lined paper when it's on sale, usually at 44c/200 sheets but I've gone as high as 79c/200 sheets, so we always have lots around our house for when it's needed.

I can't imagine buying all new supplies every year, we'd be up to our eyeballs in crayons etc. by now!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The school used to put out lists for the kids and specify certain brands...usually the most expensive. I told my son when the teacher starts paying for the supplies they can tell me what brand to buy. Since they aren't, they can call me if they aren't happy with the red pencil or glue stick I bought.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Things like this just make me happy we home school our son.

Latest posts