Let's talk about meat, dairy, eggs, hunting, and cooking on the homestead

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nixtamalization should be an important step for preparing grains and beans. It's not just for corn. It makes the nutrients in these foods more bioavailable, which means less food needed to provide the body with the nutrients it needs (something that could become extremely important in a SHTF situation). The lime that is used for nixtamalization can also preserve eggs for as long as two years, without refrigeration. That could also become very important since we would probably depend more on chickens foraging for themselves rather than providing all their feed, which would very likely cut down on the amount of eggs being laid in the winter months.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think now is a good time to assess how we are doing and where we are at. The time is coming, I think, when we won't just want to do these things, but will need to do them. Get ready while we can.

True. I have always felt a need to be as SS as I could. With my own "retirement" looming -- CV19 pushing it fast!! LOL -- it is a time that I often review my own set-up. It requires me to make decisions about my entire farm & livestock management. I say livestock because I do have them, rely on them & plan to continue. So what adjustments I would need is the consideration. Many of us are feeling the same need for a "plan". Overall, I'm not stressed.

More time at home has driven me to incorporate some of the things I have seen & learned over the years. Been obtaining much of the items I feel I may need now, 98% are in place. Hopefully, electric, gasoline & propane will remain a part of my life but, if not, I am able to function. Off-grid is not my desire right now but, I can do it -- Solar to pump my well is my only TRUE need now for that, for own personal, on farm supply.

I'm not willing to forgo dairy. :lol: Overall, I find my goats more compatible than a cow for me. Winter hay/feed supply is my main consideration -- should the buyable supply become unavailable. Thankfully, It's ok right now.

Now, I need to look up Britseas "Nixtamalization" suggestion.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the chart @Britesea

I would love to get a Dexter. I eat too much red meat, so a smaller animal will make smaller steaks, and they are said to do well on just pasture. Plus they are dual-use: meat and milk. They are said to have a really good milk/cream ratio.
I was also looking at the Devon - which is a 3-use cattle: milk, meat, and oxen. As an oxen, they have been bred to be a calmer cattle.

A couple of weeks ago I saw an ad for Devon/Jersey cross yearlings for sale - heifers and steers. $1200 for a yearling heifer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a good program going with your goats. I am impressed. 80 acres across the road would be a challenge but you could handle it. You have it figured out with your pigs too.

I have lived without AC before and acclimated to it. In this double wide, it would be pretty awful. I think I’d be under the porch with the dogs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my 'pie in the sky' plans for retirement was to go over to that 80 acres every day with a cart and some loppers to cut browse to supplement the goats. It sounded like such a good idea. But, with my newly found allergy to the 'ivy's that's not likely to happen! If it were necessary though - I'd figure something out! Easiest way would just be to turn 'em loose over there and let 'em do their thing.

The neighbor on the other side of me has let her 2 acres grow up but she's got no perimeter fence. However, years ago before we replaced our fences the goats would slip over to her side and be home every day at feeding time (and several times during the day for water). That might be an option also.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I keep bringing up the idea with hubby that we need to have all of our neighbor's phone numbers, and even have a meeting with neighbors regarding neighborhood security, and looking out for each other. He thinks I'm jumping ahead of the situation. Me... not so much! When TSHTF, that's not the time to be "getting to know" your neighbors. I am oh so thankful that I live where I do. On a little dead end road, out in the boonies. The whole neighborhood uses my road for walking. And, since the whole Covid stupid started, I've gotten to "visit" with a lot of neighbors. Selling eggs is also a help in that regard.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
wow! Beef is high at the store -- yeah, $7.94# for chuck roasts chokes me! I don't believe I will go the route you did... :lol: Nope.

You go, man!

I have lovely goat I'm probably going to wether for Winter freezer fill.