Let's talk about recycling canning jars..........

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. No rust or gunk on top, I actually used one of those magic eraser sponges and they cleaned up really well. Thanks, gina :D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so I have a question maybe some of you could help with. I recently picked up a few dozen old quart mason jars. My problem is they were stored outside with lids and bands on. The jars all cleaned up well except for some faint staining from rust. It's on the threads on some jars. Is this a problem. Any sugesstions on removing it?

Sorry SKR8PN I did not intend to hijack your thread.
Not a problem, hi-jack away!! :lol: I wouldn't worry about the rust as long as it only on the outside of the jar. The inside and top where the lid seals are the important parts. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
SK, my mom and I swear by the mayo jars. Never had one break in all these years of canning(50 yrs). Don't let them go to waste! :p

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when our church has spaghetti sauce sales, they send it home in canning jars and request them back, they inevitably end up with someone sending some extra mayo jars. I use them for storing left overs, soups, I have coconut and milk in one right now for pie. IF I dont drink all the coffee in the morning I will put it in one for iced coffee later.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
SK, my mom and I swear by the mayo jars. Never had one break in all these years of canning(50 yrs). Don't let them go to waste! :p
Trust me darlin'....they ain't gonna go to waste. I'll find some way to use them or find them a gooood home!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I used to use old mayonnaise jars for canning with no breakage. Then beginning in the 90's the new mayo jars no longer accepted the rings and I had seal failures. Try a batch in them and if they seal, use them.

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My mother in law (90yrs. young), canned in mayo jars all her life---UNTIL the mid 90's and the new ones didn't seal properly.. She had several jars explode--they looked fine in the beginning. She also, had several break in her canner (always used a water bath)...

After that my dh cleaned out her pantry and replaced all the mayo jars. SHE was NOT happy. She said she had canned in them for 60yrs and they were good for another 20 at least! :D

I use them to store leftovers, rice, dry beans, small amounts of dry goods that won't fit into my canisters...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can always test the iffy ones by canning water in them. That way, you won't lose valuable food if they break.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I use old jars for lanterns. Just put a votive candle in it and you can either string wire on the outside with glass beads on it or glue the glass beads onto the jar and sit them outside for a lovely effect. Great project to do with your kids for a party...example, use red, white and blue beads for July 4th. When our power went out recently we used them inside the house and they kept our hands warm too!

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My grandfather drilled a hole in the lids. He spray painted the jars kinda semi-transparent and series wired lights into them. He hung them on his porch when he was ready to get his fiesta on. Usually he had made a lot of homemade wine and moonshine. All the relatives would stop by and whoop it all up.

My poor dad got caught with the changeover mayo jars. Canned like 80 jars and they all exploded under the counter. He thought someone was shooting at the house and was walking around crouched over peeping out the windows.