Life Skills for Kids?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i think everyone should know safe food prep and cook some basic dishes of various kinds (plus how to do dishes and put food away) - bread fits in this part.

proper nutrition is also important.

how to do laundry (ironing is not a life skill IMO :) ), minor sewing/repair and how to clean the house.

gardening and basic canning (including when to know when to pressure can vs. everything else).

how to start a fire and basic first aid are also good things to know.
My boys are 8 and 16.

They are learning to cook and bake (details in The Bread Thread). I really do need to teach them more about nutrition. DS16 struggles. His body is not forgiving.

DS16 can do laundry. He is learning about removing stains. He can iron - hates it of course! DS8 can run the machines. He hates putting his clothes on hangers - makes getting dressed a struggle.

DS16 knows *how* to garden but he gets overwhelmed by weeds and quits. DS8 can plant peas and potatoes. He forgets to water. DS16 can water bath and pressure can independently, and safely

Unfortunately DS16 can start a fire 😅

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
What do you think every kid should know?
Heading into the teen years, I would include financial budgeting and time management planning

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking, cleaning, laundry, basic mending.

I'll probably think of more to add later, but those everyone needs to know. I made money off sewing buttons back on uniforms when I was in the Navy because of how few knew how to do it.

Eta

Budgeting and taxes. Those were taught as part of economics in high school for me. It was a mandatory class. So was civics. Health was one semester with the other semester being drivers ed in sophomore year. Both mandatory. Drivers ed you had to change a tire as part of the practical that took place after school ended. That also had the driving part. That saved money on insurance as well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would add sex ed. A LOT more than what is taught in schools! People need to know how their body -and their partner/future partner's body- works.

I also add medical terminology and how to navigate the medical system. It takes fierce advocacy for females to get adequate diagnosis and treatment- particularly for pain. Our boys must also learn, because right now many women cannot get adequate health care unless they bring a man to their appointment.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
now many women cannot get adequate health care unless they bring a man to their appointment.
That's never been a problem for me BUT I'll question a doctor and insist on answers. Maybe because I worked for a surgeon beginning when I was in high school and for a while after....lot of exposure to many things. A great learning experience.

People don't always search for the problem.