Liquid Detergent

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Thanks JRmom for replying about the oily stains. I forgot I posted in this thread and never came back to check it! It's definitely not from fabric softener (don't use it) or food. It's from the detergent. Maybe we'll just have to switch to the powdered detergent after we get through this (new) batch of liquid. :p

Glen, I've found Fels at Whole Foods. I actually found both Fels and Washing Soda there when I was visiting my sister. We don't have any fancy schmancy stores like that around here. :lol: Trader Joes might have it too.
Yeah....have you ever been to my neck o tho woods? We don't have EITHER of those schmancy places here. I think there's a trader joes up in Maine.....

Maybe Ocean State Job Lot would have it?!? :lol:

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
glenolam said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Thanks JRmom for replying about the oily stains. I forgot I posted in this thread and never came back to check it! It's definitely not from fabric softener (don't use it) or food. It's from the detergent. Maybe we'll just have to switch to the powdered detergent after we get through this (new) batch of liquid. :p

Glen, I've found Fels at Whole Foods. I actually found both Fels and Washing Soda there when I was visiting my sister. We don't have any fancy schmancy stores like that around here. :lol: Trader Joes might have it too.
Yeah....have you ever been to my neck o tho woods? We don't have EITHER of those schmancy places here. I think there's a trader joes up in Maine.....

Maybe Ocean State Job Lot would have it?!? :lol:
If all else fails, Amazon has it! :lol:

coldcreekchick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-...mer-super-washing-soda-detergent-booster.aspx
This is the link to the supplier of Arm & Hammer Washing soda, I ordered it straight from them a couple years ago. You had to order 3 boxes, but when you can't find it locally, you do what you need to. I use Ivory, and it seems to work fine. If someone already mentioned Church and Dwight, I apoligize, I skimmed the comments and didn't think I saw their name mentioned.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If all else fails my offer to ship Zote is still good. Living so close to Mex I can get it for 59 cents a bar.

I put my Zote in my food processor then in a big pot of hot water. The original recipe said something like 4 cups. That did not work really well. Then I add everything to a 5 gallon bucket.

All good.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have tried Ivory. Never again. It leaves a white film on everything.

If you cannot find Fels Naptha anywhere, just order it online in bulk.
I always buy several bars at once, since they are so cheap, so I am stocked up for a year or more.

ETA Oh, and you can make your own washing soda, by buying the gallon sized baking soda bag, and baking it in the oven. Just google the method if you want to go that route.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am forever getting grease slattered on me from frying bacon or eggs and like Paula, I never wear an apron. I should get into that habit, but until then I am stuck getting the stains out. I have been successful at removing them using Ronsol lighter fluid. It has a small tip that keeps me from soaking things with it. I then let it sit for a few minutes as I am preparing the rest of the laundry before throwing it in and laundering as usual.

For things that might have blood or organic stains of some sort, I have a gallon bucket with a lid that I fill half way with water and add a half cup of homemade laundry detergent to. Articles that need to soak go in there and sit for a day or too. I then spray the offending spot with simple green and throw it in with a load. Works great.

My Recipe:
1 bar of FelzNaptha soap grated finely (I use my grater on my Kitchenaide)
1.5 cups of Borax
1.5 cups of Washing Soda
1.5 cups of Baking Soda

I heat a gallon of water on the stove and add the soap flakes while it is heating up. When it is near boiling I add the other ingredients in that order (never baking soda first as you will have a volcano)stirring well. Once they are disolved, I remove the pot from the stove and pour the contents into a clean 5 gallon bucket and add water to near the top.

I have found that the addition of Baking Soda to the original recipe does two things. It helps with odors and it makes the liquid not gel, which makes it so much easier to get it out of dispensers. I still give the jug (I use empty vinegar jugs) a shake each time I use it.