Liquid Nutrition Help Needed

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
As some of you know my DH has ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease). He has lost 8 pounds in as many weeks. He can still swallow and eat but feeding himself uses a tremendous amount of energy and creates a level of frustration that discourages him even trying most of the time. At this point he refuses to let me help him eat other than just preparing his food and putting it on his plate.

I need ideas for protien packed drinks, that taste good, that I can make ahead of time and have for him to drink. He needs to gain weight so calories are good.

All help and suggestions welcome.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
2 cups raw milk (or kefir), 1 banana, 2 raw eggs, 2 tbls raw cream, 1 tbls raw coconut oil. spices to taste. Blend till smooth.
Add honey if you want.
My dad is on the liver transplant list, and at one point was emaciated.
The dr told him to drink the above as often as he needed. It worked wonders!

You can add greens like spinach, frozen berries, raw liver....really anything you want!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks Paula, will regular store bought milk work. I do not have access to raw milk at all. Not even goats milk at this time.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
2dream said:
Thanks Paula, will regular store bought milk work. I do not have access to raw milk at all. Not even goats milk at this time.
Buy whole milk then and make kefir with it. If you can find cream that is not ultra pasteurized that would be best. Otherwise just use raw coconut oil.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
To add to Paula's suggestion...I make shakes every day for our breakfast.

8 oz homemade kefir ( from whole organic milk)
1/2 c frozen blue berries
1/3 c frozen spinach
Banana
Liq vitamins
1/3- 1/2 c Coconut milk (I don't like the coconut oil, but the milk has fat and is delish)
I would add a fresh egg or two but we no longer have our own hens.

I like this mix because it helps me get in some greens which I do not like unless they are in a salad, and up my antioxidant intake while giving me some good fat and some protein to start my day....and it tastes quite good, once you get past the visual....spinach and blueberries = grey.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Rainbow has regular pasturized cream. I think they have kefir too, not 100% sure on that.
:hugs
Best to make it though, as store bought has only 7 probiotics in it :(
Homemade with grains has around 30 :thumbsup

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks, this is so helpful. I made a version of the drink last night. (Could not find coconut oil). I used a purchased organic kefir, organic strawberries, a bananna, raw honey. He tasted it and kind of turned up his nose so I added vanilla ice cream and more honey. He tasted it again and said it was good but would not drink it. :he

Its in the fridge, I told him it better be gone when I get home from work today and I don't mean poured down the sink.

I really liked it. May try leaving the strawberries out and adding peanut butter with more ice cream. He loves peanut butter.

This drink has endless possibilities.

Now off to try to find that how to make kefir thread.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
To BB's recipe I'd add......If you have access to pasture-raised eggs that is best, too. Do you have hens? I'd separate the eggs and add 4-6 yolks if you have access to them. Too many raw whites will deplete biotin. Yolks are loaded with nutrients and good fat.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks Free, I was hopeing you would jump in here.

I do have fresh eggs. Lots and lots.