Listeria In Boiled Eggs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So there is Listeria in packages of boiled eggs, people are sick and one man has died. What? Are people too damned lazy or stupid to boil their own eggs? Want me to boil them and eat them for you too? What is wrong with people? Buy pre-boiled and peeled eggs? Yuck! Are people so busy that they can't take a few minutes to boil some eggs, peel and eat them? Now I realize that this has made people sick, one man has died, that is tragedy. That is a stupid reason to die.

Ok, rant over.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Contaminated water during the machine peeling? That's actually highly likely. They like to reuse water to save money on most processing lines. It's a big part of the reason that commercial chicken is so dangerous in the U.S.

I don't ever get the lazy people. Peeled oranges in tons of plastic packaging. Prepped food like the boiled eggs that are past the point I toss them before they even get to the store.

We don't get food issues here. 3 days is as long as it stays in the fridge before it's taken care of. Dogs and chickens are happy to deal. Only large chunks of meat like ham or roast may last up to a week. Usually it's used for soup around day 4.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every time you use a food that has been processed in any way by someone else, you are placing your health and life in the hands of strangers. I realize it's nigh on impossible to do all my own processing, but I do try to minimize it as much as possible. Boiled eggs is such an easy thing to do, and if you keep them in an insulated bag, they stay safe to eat until lunch time-- no need to buy some at the store on your break.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The other side of the coin is not about laziness - it is the people that are simply not capable because of whatever challenges they take. When my parents were still living in their own home a lot of packaged convenience foods became their norm. It was not safe for them to continue to use the stove - or their hands shook too much to peel their own oranges...or they couldn't see well enough to read cooking directions...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The other side of the coin is not about laziness - it is the people that are simply not capable because of whatever challenges they take. When my parents were still living in their own home a lot of packaged convenience foods became their norm. It was not safe for them to continue to use the stove - or their hands shook too much to peel their own oranges...or they couldn't see well enough to read cooking directions...
My Mom did the same thing, buying pre cooked bacon, but at least it had to be heated up. My sister is all about prepackaged food.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My MIL takes great pride in the fact that she "doesn't cook any more." She buys pre-cooked boiled eggs, even though I have offered to even do that for her. Buys pre-cooked everything. She will peel a banana, but that's about as extensive as her food prep gets.

I can say that I do like the pre-cooked bacon. It crisps up nicely in the frying pan without a lot of extra grease spattering around. However, when looking at $/# and meal satisfaction, I'll be buying more SPAM and less bacon. Organic veggies seasoned with highly processed meat products. That makes me a food hypocrite.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So there is Listeria in packages of boiled eggs, people are sick and one man has died. What? Are people too damned lazy or stupid to boil their own eggs? Want me to boil them and eat them for you too? What is wrong with people? Buy pre-boiled and peeled eggs? Yuck! Are people so busy that they can't take a few minutes to boil some eggs, peel and eat them? Now I realize that this has made people sick, one man has died, that is tragedy. That is a stupid reason to die.

Ok, rant over.

agreed! it only takes one person overlooking one small surface when cleaning up or prepping or someone not washing their hands or something similar...

when i'm making foods here that we'll be giving to others i'm pretty rabid about washing and keeping things cleaned up. i'd hate for someone to get sick.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My MIL takes great pride in the fact that she "doesn't cook any more." She buys pre-cooked boiled eggs, even though I have offered to even do that for her. Buys pre-cooked everything. She will peel a banana, but that's about as extensive as her food prep gets.

I can say that I do like the pre-cooked bacon. It crisps up nicely in the frying pan without a lot of extra grease spattering around. However, when looking at $/# and meal satisfaction, I'll be buying more SPAM and less bacon. Organic veggies seasoned with highly processed meat products. That makes me a food hypocrite.

we do buy pre-crumbled bacon and cook it to finish it up in a coffee cup. it's one of the few things i'd make that exception for. i'm sure it gets way up there in temperature when we heat it up to crisp it. 20-30 seconds. be careful to not burn yourself on the hotness.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do buy the crumbled bacon from Costco for salads. The price isn't bad compared to the sliced bacon I prefer. I won't buy the tiny expensive little bags at the grocery store. I frequently do price per ounce math before buying things. Sometimes the smaller size is actually cheaper.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, it's wise to have an idea what things cost at the grocer, so you can do a comparison at the "club" stores. Bigger is not always cheaper.