Listeria In Boiled Eggs

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy the big packages of "ends and pieces" and render the fat in the oven- I love cooking with bacon fat. The crispy bits become our bacon bits. They stay good for quite a while, but I usually freeze at least half of them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If we hit the local restaurant supply and the ends and pieces are on the sale sheet, I get them. I freeze bacon if I buy a lot. It can be thawed for cooking later. It's usually what I use for potato soup. Bacon grease is filtered and used for cooking here. I only use olive oil if I don't have any left. I like making wilted salad with spinach as well.

I buy very little pre-packaged foods. There are usually a couple things in the freezer for those times when I just can't cook.

I can see elderly and disabled needing items like the peeled eggs. That's a very good reason for them.

Most the people I see buying stuff like that are younger though. Like the mother telling her toddler to leave the mandarin oranges alone. "Oh no you don't want those. We only get the peeled ones." Or the guy buying lots of very expensive small trays of cut watermelon in the summer when next to it you can grab a whole melon with 10 times as much fruit for the same price as one of those trays.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Real food takes time to prepare. For a lot of us, that means time to grow it too, whether meat or vegetable. I would never buy peeled boiled eggs, cut up fruit, etc.

As a group, we are on a different road with a different destination than most people.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Watching cooking videos on YouTube the other day, there were several using peaches.

I came to a realization watching all these people cutting up those hard fruits.

Most people today have never eaten ripe fruit.

Just the hard, sour stone fruits that may soften, but do not ripen off the tree. Hard unripe pears (which do ripen). Strawberries that have no real flavor but last in the fridge forever.

Green bananas- I don't get this one. Green bananas are used for frying as the starches haven't converted to sugars yet. Ripe bananas actually have brown spots. I wait for them to brown fully before making breads and then hubby gets questioned at work on why my bread is so much better than their wives.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm sort of aware of what things usually cost. one thing i do like about the big box stores is that they only carry a few items so i don't have to ponder which one i really want. we do shop both stores so if the one has something i might want to try out i may go for a smaller portion at the other instead just to see if i really want it. most the time though i really do know what i want and the prices are fine. we have to drive a way to shop so we bundle our outings into having lunch with my brother, shopping, running errands, getting the mail, going to the library, etc. by the end of the day i don't want to do it again for another few weeks to a month. which works out well as that's about as often as we do that much. for smaller stuff here or there Mom is usually out and about visiting her friends and searching for fabric and so she'll get milk or ...

i could easily be a hermit. not that i really hate people or being social, i just don't like to leave my toys and comfy perching spot and having good things to read and keep me busy. i like driving, but i don't like holiday traffic.

the past few weeks we've had two different trucks (in just one family) hit by people not paying attention and that's going to cost about $20K to fix.

yesterday i had some lady completely blow through a stop sign without even looking, luckily i saw her coming and slowed down so she missed us. still, gotta keep your eyes peeled out there people!

oh, i do have to amend my comments, we did buy some frozen strawberries because the shipped whole ones are so tasteless this time of the year that they're not really worth buying at all. the frozen ones at least have a better chance of being picked when they are riper and have developed some flavor. we'll doctor them up a bit with some strawberry freezer jam and they'll be good enough for shortcakes. which is dessert this coming holiday meal. :) and truffles. i'm making more truffles.

Last edited: