Lithium battery life (interesting info)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A lot of cordless electric tools, as well as electronic measuring instruments, laptops, tablets, and such, now come with lithium batteries, and chargers. In particular, with tools, the higher-grade and "professional" models do.

Here's a site that tells about how to get the most life out of your lithium batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

There's quite a bit of good stuff in this page. For one thing, I remember when I was buying NiCad (nickel-cadmium) batteries in the kits with my tools. In those days, not very long back really, the suggestion was to "deep cycle" your batteries, by running the power completely out with each battery before recharging it (and switching the tool to the alternate battery). The advice for lithiums is not to run them down completely before recharging.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good to know! I remember the radios we carried at the prison were those stupid NiCad and we had to run them all the way down before we were allowed to exchange :rolleyes: That was real safe considering the inmates ALL paid attention to when our batteries were about dead. That place was a nightmare.

Anyway, I like the Lithiums, and will pay close attention to keep from completely discharging them now that I know :D Thanks Joel!