Little Creatures

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a new holland honeyeater hanging around my garden gate and getting very agitated when I go out there , so I suspect a nest in the area! Hopefully it learns to see me as NOT a threat cos I go out there a lot.

There is also a tiny, tiny baby bobtail lizard living along the back fence. I had never seen one so small and it seems very slow to grow, but has almost doubled it size since I have been watching it. I was worried about it being so tiny so left eggs and strawberries in the general area. Today I went out to see if the little one was sunbaking, but instead found the BIG daddy out there seeking the strawberries! Havent seen him all winter. He was living here before me. His wife is around the yard somwehere too, they seem to have one or two babies a year but this tiny one is the first one that young I have seen. Usually I meet the babies when they are teens and on the move for their own patch of yard.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Magpies are doing their swoop. Im a few hundred metres from where they nest, but they do a non threatening low glide over my head in the afternoon just to let me know they are there.

Also seen a baby blue wren eating bugs off my car.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you seen these that look like lint floating around? Up close they look like a fantasy tale character. Not a good picture. I have a new camera now that will take better pics next year! This was taken July 2021.

Attachments

• DSCN6739 (1).jpg
    DSCN6739 (1).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last fall while walking in the marsh I found for the first time evidence of beavers! Apparently, they've been here for years, probably longer than the 11 years that we've lived here. As I've been walking around more I've found many small tree/bush cuttings that are much older.

Haven't found their home, and I don't want to disturb them. All of the waterways and the main creek are still flowing.

Attachments

• DSCN7116.jpg
    DSCN7116.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN7118.jpg
    DSCN7118.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN7126.jpg
    DSCN7126.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 137

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm still making the homemade suet. Out of grass-fed beef suet, or lamb fat, organic peanuts, and organic raisins. The birds are loving them. I put much less raisins than before, and cut them up.

While I was reading about rendering suet, I came across an article about using suet on the face, and it has to be grass-fed to be beneficial. So, I started using it, and love it! I won't go back to using store bought face cream.

If I find the article again, I'll post it.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think this is the same article I read before about using 100% grass fed beef suet for face/skin balm. Only change is that the 2nd time, I made the suet out of lamb fat and added no other ingredients, just the suet. The lamb fat is reserved in the freezer only for cosmetic use now.

Last edited:

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's a new member of the family. He just showed up, yelling meow with reason: cold, hungry, thirsty, nowhere to go, just dumped! (I think he was dumped because a different friendly, however biting cat showed up two days before, but left, and another neighbor kept him, who doesn't mind so much being bit).

We named him Reuben. He purrs and needs a lot, making bread for reuben sandwiches.

P3310503 (1).jpg

Last edited: