Little Creatures

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
today Mom said she had a raccoon looking at her through the patio door while she was working at her quilting. i didn't get to see it, but i believe her. the middle of the day is a strange time for one to be out but perhaps it just wanted to catch some rays after the cold of last night.
Maybe he was wanting a snack.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The animals ate all of the acorns. I probably put out at least 5 pounds that I had saved. I hope there's some this year, then I'll save more.

I recently purchased a woodpecker blend of bird food that has roasted whole cashews, pecans, almonds, peanuts, along with BOSS, cracked corn, and some other things. One thing I look for in the ingredients is NO added flavoring or coloring in bird seed blend. This one does not have any.

All of the birds love it! It looks and smells yummy to me too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe he was wanting a snack.

we don't feed them or encourage them, but we also can't really keep them out so the best we do is try to ignore them.

we used to trap and relocate them but it was getting really silly in that we could trap a new one every night for weeks at a time.

we don't grow sweet corn here. that's about all the concessions we make for them and we have to make sure to plant the onion starts we use inside the fenced gardens and they have to be planted deeply enough that the raccoons can't smell the fertilizer used by the greenhouse.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we don't feed them or encourage them, but we also can't really keep them out so the best we do is try to ignore them.

we used to trap and relocate them but it was getting really silly in that we could trap a new one every night for weeks at a time.

we don't grow sweet corn here. that's about all the concessions we make for them and we have to make sure to plant the onion starts we use inside the fenced gardens and they have to be planted deeply enough that the raccoons can't smell the fertilizer used by the greenhouse.
I read a while back that it's a high possibility that most animals that are relocated end up dying due to being taken out of their familiar area.

We have fencing around about 2 acres with electric. We did that to keep the foxes from hunting our poultry. Sine then there have been very few raccoons around. No more foxes hunting either.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read a while back that it's a high possibility that most animals that are relocated end up dying due to being taken out of their familiar area.

We have fencing around about 2 acres with electric. We did that to keep the foxes from hunting our poultry. Sine then there have been very few raccoons around. No more foxes hunting either.

if you don't move them far enough they will come back.

yes, i've read that it's not a great idea either. i much prefer what we are doing now (just ignore them and learn to work around them).

for the price of an electric fence we can eat a liftetime supply of sweet corn bought at the store. we just don't eat it that often where it matters much to me that we can't grow it here. i may change my mind in the future if i move or decide to do things differently here... until then, tally ho, it's just life as usual. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you don't move them far enough they will come back.

yes, i've read that it's not a great idea either. i much prefer what we are doing now (just ignore them and learn to work around them).

for the price of an electric fence we can eat a liftetime supply of sweet corn bought at the store. we just don't eat it that often where it matters much to me that we can't grow it here. i may change my mind in the future if i move or decide to do things differently here... until then, tally ho, it's just life as usual. :)
I prefer to work with wild animals over fencing everything in, but if we didn't there would be no garden at all, and no poultry! The previous home owners gave up growing a garden and said the animals will win.

Corn takes so much room to grow. Some years we grow some, because it's so good homegrown. Some organic vegetables are cheaper at the store, but some things cannot be found organically, such as jalapeno peppers! Also, good tasting heirloom tomatoes! I haven't purchased a tomato at a store in years. They taste yucky.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wo
I prefer to work with wild animals over fencing everything in, but if we didn't there would be no garden at all, and no poultry! The previous home owners gave up growing a garden and said the animals will win.

Corn takes so much room to grow. Some years we grow some, because it's so good homegrown. Some organic vegetables are cheaper at the store, but some things cannot be found organically, such as jalapeno peppers! Also, good tasting heirloom tomatoes! I haven't purchased a tomato at a store in years. They taste yucky

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would really like to find jalapenos it would be great to actually grow them . I only come across the pickled here
They're easy to grow. The variety I like is actually a hybrid from Johnny's Seeds, called "Jalafeugo". It has the hybrid vigor.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They're easy to grow. The variety I like is actually a hybrid from Johnny's Seeds, called "Jalafeugo". It has the hybrid vigor.
Interesting thank you. :)

Can these plants be grown o a windowsill?

Latest posts