Little House books

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I'm rereading all of the Little House books; I was probably 10 when I read them the first time. Talk about self-sufficiency!!! The thing that's so striking to me now is that they operated completely without debt and without money. I'm sure it was pretty stressful (the books kind of gloss over all that stuff, since they were written for kids), but what a feeling of satisfaction to be able to do EVERYTHING for yourself, and be able to support your family.

Have any of you guys read/reread these books as an adult? What are your thoughts on them now? Do you have any other good SS books to recommend? I'm interested in reading more in the biographical/philosophical vein, not necessarily a how-to.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmer Boy was my favorite and inspired me to explore other foods for livestock. They saved all their bean vines with pods on them, pumpkins, winter squash, etc. to feed to their cows and horses in the winter time.

I loved how they described, in detail, each meal and how much detail was included in their seasonal harvesting and choring, exactly how they built things and how they stored things. So informative for just a children's book, don't you think?

The way they describe it, they were working on something all the time, every season....but they had full-to-bursting larders and barns with all the harvest. A very industrious family with chores even for the youngest family member.

I loved it!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
So I'm rereading all of the Little House books; I was probably 10 when I read them the first time. Talk about self-sufficiency!!! The thing that's so striking to me now is that they operated completely without debt and without money. I'm sure it was pretty stressful (the books kind of gloss over all that stuff, since they were written for kids), but what a feeling of satisfaction to be able to do EVERYTHING for yourself, and be able to support your family.

Have any of you guys read/reread these books as an adult? What are your thoughts on them now? Do you have any other good SS books to recommend? I'm interested in reading more in the biographical/philosophical vein, not necessarily a how-to.
I've reread them but only out of sentimentality. Somewhere I have a book of essays written by Laura Ingalls Wilder that she actually wrote prior to the Little House series. They were on the dull side but I bet I'd get more out of them now. I don't know where it is now and I can't find it searching just now. If I figure it out I'll share.

ETA: I think this is it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17579.Little_House_in_the_Ozarks_The_Rediscovered_Writings

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm interested in reading more in the biographical/philosophical vein, not necessarily a how-to.
Well....I could tell you the story of my off-grid upbringing.... :p Its not exactly a how-to but it makes for interesting reading! :D

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I loved how they described, in detail, each meal and how much detail was included in their seasonal harvesting and choring, exactly how they built things and how they stored things. So informative for just a children's book, don't you think?
Farmer Boy was my favorite, too! It always made me hungry!

I would love more information on the family because even though it's fascinating, everything seems pretty sugar-coated. It HAS to be because Ma could never be so easy-going about all those moves! Or she was a saint! I've done a few web searches to find more info on the family, but it's actually pretty limited.

What's struck me is how much time they spend on actual work. Their days were spent productively. No time wasted on the internet :)rolleyes:), playing video games, watching TV, etc. Even when the kids were playing, they were outside learning about nature. I can't say I'd want to go completely back (don't know what I'd do without hot showers!!!!), but the simplicity of it is SOOOO appealing.

Beekissed - were you really off the grid growing up? By choice or by accident?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The way they describe it, they were working on something all the time, every season....but they had full-to-bursting larders and barns with all the harvest. A very industrious family with chores even for the youngest family member.
You might want to read The Long Winter (one of the Little House books, toward the middle of the series) where the train could not get through the pass and the family nearly starved and froze to death. Not that I didn't love all of other books. I just thought that that one had nice little dose of reality to it.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have just aquired some of the books. They are hard to find if you don't want to buy them new at full price. I am starting them next week, reading them outloud to my kids. My boys have done a great job 'adjusting' to our new take on life (from the city to being much more rural). They are trying to join 4H, but we are having a difficult time getting anyone to respond to our web inquiries. I think it is school based here and we homeschool.
Well, really can't wait to read the books now! I might start tonight . .lol

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
OkieJones- I bet if you stop at any local large farm with kids, they could direct you to the group doing what you're interested in raising. Most of the larger ranches (no farms here-only ranches,) who have kids are involved in 4H or FFA.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
All of them are favorites. We still have a set around that the grandkids were reading. But since they already have a set at home, I'm thinking of giving them to one of my nieces, as she has just fallen in love with this series.

When our two were growing up, Farmer Boy and The Long Winter were always favorites. We love to read them while curled up in the large wing back chair in front of the fireplace when school was closed due to bad weather.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed - were you really off the grid growing up? By choice or by accident?
Well, it wasn't by MY choice and it was quite intentional...my folks were really big into Mother Earth News back in the 70s when everyone was tired of the "rat race"(can you believe it? They would really flip their hippy wigs now!) and going "back to the land."

They sold their home and used the money to buy off, in full, an old, abandoned 110 acre farm that was almost entirely wooded except for about 6 acres. It had no buildings on it. We built a one room log cabin in 3 wks. time and added a lean-to addition to it soon after..an approx. 12 ft. x 20 ft. structure with both rooms.

It was an adventure...and, if my dad had been interested in raising livestock seriously, it would have been even better. I was in 5th grade then, going into my 6th and there were still 4 kids at home, with the occasional long-term visit of adult siblings as they passed through to different jobs, marriages, lives.