Little Rooster Croft: Yummy cheesy and yogurty goodness

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This past week has been all about making milk into other yummy goodness (besides just drinking it, which if is raw...it is yummy just as is!). I spent many hours surfing through the threads here :caf and finally decided to be brave and start some of these new things.

I finally got the hang of the soft farmer's cheese making...making chevre and ricotta from goat's milk this week! I made a batch of chevre that I split and made part savory for stuffing in my suddenly appearing giant zucchini and the other I made with mango for a dessert cheese to go along with my fresh picked Golden Delicious Apples. (I made the rest of them into my first ever applesauce too...boiled them down, put through my foley mill and spiced with cardomom and cinnamon).

This week I also made my first ever yogurt. My first batch was small because I was afraid! LOL:fl I did lots of that finger crossing stuff! It came out really well! I heated it up and added the starter (Dannon plain) and put in a cooler with warm water. The next morning it was mostly set but a little then so I put in a cloth and put back in cooler...it was perfect when I got home from work!

So, I ventured out with more of my treasured milk (I don't have a goat or cow...I get the milk locally but it means I don't have LOTS just hanging around)... and made a bigger batch of yogurt. I started it before I left yesterday morning and it was in the cooler by 6am. When I got home after 8pm I checked on it and it was nice and thick and awesome! :drool I had to have some right then (didn't help I was starving!). I put mango in two jars, peach in another and left the final one plain. I had a bit left over so I put in the cloth and it is making itself into yogurt cheese I hope!

I won't get anymore milk until Sunday but plans are to make more cheese and hopefully some cajeta! Save some to drink too!