little spot or Do you pay much attention to expirations dates?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
:lol: I keep checking back when this thread pops up again to see if someone has a tale of a terminally out of date can of something they ate but I guess they would not be around to say that, would they?

I think most of us are tougher than we think- if we were really so eeasily done in, no one have survived to make the next generation.:old

Terrie

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
It depends on what it is.
I absolutely refuse to use milk and liquid dairy 3 days before it is ready to expire.

My Mom poured milk into a newer container once when I was a kid and I got a mouthful of lumpy milk a few days later. Never again. In fact I don't even drink milk. I use it to cook and I pour it into a bowl first so I can check for lumps.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ewwww, Terrie. I don't blame you for being so careful after that experience.

That reminds me . . . my mom told me about one time when I was a kid and we went over to the house of some family friends of ours, who had quite a few kids. After the meal the mom went around and poured all the undrunk milk from the cups BACK into the milk container. :sick I don't think we ever ate at their house after that. LOL

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ewwww, icky Drake....although that sounds like something my mom would do.

My husband teases me that I have an 'iron stomach' as I am constantly eating 'old' food. But here is my thought process

1) Most of it is food that I have made at home and I know how old it is.

2) If it is liquidy I heat it past the boiling point.

3) I read somewhere that archeologists found a jar of honey in an Egyptian tomb. They opened it and found it was dark and crystalized but lab analysis showed it hadn't gone bad, and taste test also gave good results.

4) We all know where penicillin comes from right? So I figure that I am possibly eating all kinds of beneficial bacteria, and if I don't die, I will probably end up living forever. 'wry grin'

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well today I made marinade with some chicken broth from a can dated 2004- I'll let you know if I die tomorrow.............get out the ouija board...................:lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom discovered a jar of honey that she had put up~not heat sealed, mind you~back in 1979 and it was not crystallized and still looked just like it did. We didn't eat it but I did dip in a finger and tasted it and it tasted just like it should~great! We gave it to the dog and she didn't die.....but then, dogs can eat anything!

John Porter

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I guess when it comes to dairy products everyone is wary. I get milk that we pull from our sales when it is 6 days before the expiration date. I have some that I am drinking now that went out on Feb 15th and it is still fine. Canned goods-like said it is a con job to get people to throw out and replace with new. I deal with expiration dates daily and bring home alot of food that is suppose to be past due, hasn't hurt my family at all and I enjoy not having to buy from a grocery store.
John

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wish I had access to the foodstuff like you. I would take advantage of it too.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I am a little late, but I just discoverd this thread. I will take my 4year olds half eaten apple, cut it up and use it . .my hubby stared at me the first time he saw me do that :ep I said, hey, you will eat after the kids when they don't finish their meal, how is this different? We don't check experation dates, I have used sour cream past the date and cut mold off of cheese, but I am cautious about milk . .

Does anyone else use a half eaten apple from a kid (or worse one with just a bite taken out then placed back in the fruit basket?)