Live in Colorado? Raise Rabbits? You May Want To Read This

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to think that Robert Heinlein was a little bit extreme when his protagonists always seemed to live in walled, armed compounds... it doesn't seem so extreme anymore......

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
DH sent me an article about the FDA & raw milk (which of course I was already aware of ;) ), & that led to a conversation about how soon it would be until backyard gardens will be illegal...yep, we're paranoid, too. :/
Speaking of gardens and such... a few years back I ordered some citrus seeds off of ebay to start a few citrus plants... about 6 months later I got a knock on my door from the government! I can't quite remember what division now I'm thinking FDA... They guy had traveled from 2 states over just to investigate me! Over 2 dollars worth of stupid seeds! Apparently it's illegal to have out of state citrus trees (ok citrus doesn't grow naturally in ohio and I have my plants indoors) anyhow I had to destroy all my plants and any left over seeds, or face a massive fine...

Seriously freaked me out that the government monitors transactions even the stupid little ones even on ebay! I never dreamed as small scale as we are farming wise I would ever have to worry about a visit from the FDA... but it happened! Hard telling what all they monitor especially with the new satellites and such... I don't really like them having an over head view of my gardens (ok 2 lousy raised beds but still!) and land on google maps!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
i_am2bz said:
DH sent me an article about the FDA & raw milk (which of course I was already aware of ;) ), & that led to a conversation about how soon it would be until backyard gardens will be illegal...yep, we're paranoid, too. :/
Speaking of gardens and such... a few years back I ordered some citrus seeds off of ebay to start a few citrus plants... about 6 months later I got a knock on my door from the government! I can't quite remember what division now I'm thinking FDA... They guy had traveled from 2 states over just to investigate me! Over 2 dollars worth of stupid seeds! Apparently it's illegal to have out of state citrus trees (ok citrus doesn't grow naturally in ohio and I have my plants indoors) anyhow I had to destroy all my plants and any left over seeds, or face a massive fine...

Seriously freaked me out that the government monitors transactions even the stupid little ones even on ebay! I never dreamed as small scale as we are farming wise I would ever have to worry about a visit from the FDA... but it happened! Hard telling what all they monitor especially with the new satellites and such... I don't really like them having an over head view of my gardens (ok 2 lousy raised beds but still!) and land on google maps!
Yeesh! Hmmm..., I'll be sure not to mention the Louisiana satsuma oranges growing in half barrels in my garden area right now. I wouldn't want to end up on ANOTHER government list. ;)