Living On The Earth by Alicia Bay Laurel

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I always thought that flower children were totally peace oriented, whereas hippies had political opinions (usually negative) of the government. Not that all hippies were political activists, but they had distinct views aout what should change.

Now you've got me thinking...

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I was more into the peace and love thing, not the drugs. To me hippies were more into doing acid, getting high was a big part of their lives. Flower children were more involved with nature and being healthy in every way, organic food co-ops, living peacefully with everyone, playing and listening to music - more folk than hard rock, always being nice and kind, natural childbirth, saving "our mother" earth that is.
I participated in the first earthday in New York City. We made posters and had demonstration at my Junior High School and marched around the campus. I still have one of the posters I made. ;)
I wore the long skirts, the bandana on my head and braids and halter tops. I also wore embroidered and patched bellbottom jeans (still have my favorite pair, got a saggy baggy elephant patch on one cheek), hotpants and peasant blouses. Yes, I wore flowers in my hair and went to Greenwich (sp?) Village once.
I marched against the (vietnam) war when I was 14, participated in sit-ins and walk-outs, and moratoriums for peace.

I communed with nature on a regular basis. She was my sanctuary. Music was my voice. Art - my innermost feelings.

Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll was more the hippy thing. I didn' t mind the rock 'n roll, but the sex and drugs were too risky for my taste.
I did mess with drugs quite a bit, but it was not something I did on a regular basis. I was too afraid of loosing control of myself.
Sounds like you had a good time. I would have too. I do Earth day but didn't know about it till recent years. Those long skirts and peasant tops are comfy.
My Uncle was a hippie and still likes the old clothes. He used to embroider fully rigged clipper ships on his bell bottoms and did lots of other art too. He admits that he did lots of drugs and drinking then. He remembers being at Woodstock - and has NO IDEA how he got there - from Texas. That's some "lost weekend"! He went to school with Janis Joplin, but was not friends with her. He stayed a really cool guy.

I remember my Mom wearing hot pants and halters. She wore them to mow the yard and the neighbor guy would finish the mowing for her. It usually worked. She didn't do the earth part as much but came from a farm area- so where would the rebellion (or even novelty) be in that? She protested against Vietnam and even was at Kent when the library burned (but Not the next day- when the shooting happened).

She didn't get to enjoy being young that long. We were born 64 and 65, so the flower children were still getting started, when she had to settle down and be "responsible". By 1970, she was settled down. She got pretty conservative with age too.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I just received my copy of this book.

Page 184 with the crab cure and then immediately following that is the Eggplant toothpowder. I had to chuckle to myself. In the introduction she said "the book grew as I learned". I found it odd that she did not discover crabs and tooth power until the very end and then both at the same time.

It is definitely a fun read.

I was never a hippy or a flower child. I was to busy working. I did wear bell bottoms though. Does that count?