1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Llama fiber question

Discussion in 'Everything Else Livestock' started by Shiloh Acres, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Sep 17, 2010
    Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Lovin' The Homestead

I lost a dear little cria today. He'd never been shorn but had nice thick wool with a longish outer coat.

He also wasn't the best-groomed little guy around. He let me handle him but I haven't blown or brushed him yet. Given all that, the wool was in good shape with some burrs and debris he picked up but no mats or anything.

I used scissors to remove a bagful of wool as a memento. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet.

I wondered ... Any suggestions for cleaning or what I should do to prepare it? I need to know if I need to do anything right away if I decide I can't really proceed with it now too. Or can I just do what needs doing later and store it in a plastic bag in the meantime?

Thanks. If anyone has any ideas of what to do with it I'd be interested too. I don't think I want to make gloves or a hat or anything. Maybe a woven piece to put on the wall. Or something else decorative that won't get hard wear.

Thanks.

2. Sep 17, 2010
    valmom

valmom Crafter

If I am storing a fleece, I wrap it in paper and cedar blocks and put it in a plastic tub. I don't really know if this is correct or not, but it makes sense to me, and I have a couple of years old sheep fleeces that I am working on (slowly :lol:)

3. Sep 17, 2010
    Rebecka

Rebecka Lovin' The Homestead

I am so sorry for your loss :(

I store my fleece in plastic bags if I am 100% certain they are completely dry and cardboard boxes if I am not so sure. I have two fleeces that need washed and they are in plastic bags and have been for several months. Your post reminded me of them , so I went and checked them and they are fine :) I don't think you need to do anything with it right off.

4. Sep 17, 2010
    Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Lovin' The Homestead

Thanks y'all.

I still can't believe he's gone. I dreamed last night of how he used to follow me when I wasn't in the pasture and I'd give him little treats.

I think I'll put the wool up in paper or cardboard just in case. I'm pretty sure it's dry but I don't want anything to happen to it.

Thanks again.