Locally Grown produce

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hoping to get to the farmers market tomorrow.. the last couple of weeks has been hard to get there.. :)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Surprisingly not many large stores sell locally grown produce. And honestly, even if they did, I wouldn't trust it unless they listed the farm. We have a store called Haggen, which does have more of that sort of thing. They bake their own bread, which is lovely, and sell certain things made locally. Such as some artisan breads made at a local place called Avenue Bread. Unfortunately I can't shop there much because they are expensive. I do appreciate them because they have more local things, and they pay their employees well. Also, they are the only store in town that is open 24 hours a day!

The Wednesday Farmer's Market just started again. I want to try to go this year for sure! I wish it wasn't located downtown, because I hate driving there. The one way streets, and the parking meters are a big enough pain to make me not want to go. When I move to Gig Harbor, it will be so much easier!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When we first out to the farm, we found that one of the local grocers carried locally farm-grown organic veggies and fruits. This store does a very good job of labeling the grower and location of the locally grown items, so we know where the food was grown.

When we first started shopping there, there was always a good quantity and excellent quality available, as one farm had greenhouses for winter growing. The prices were very reasonable-sometimes the same price as the stuff trucked in from Mexico. We purchased quite a bit, as we moved here in late August and did not have time to get a garden in the first year.

Then, the farm with the greenhouses decided to start a CSA program. So less locally-grown organic is available at the grocer's now, and it seems more of it comes from farms just across the OH/PA border.

Unlike other CSAs that I've read about in books, there is no participation by the clients with this local CSA, except to pay for and pick up their shares. Also, this particular CSA has a large stand at the farmers market to sell their extra produce.

We try to grow the majority of our own veggies. We grow some fruits, but try to purchase the rest from our neighboring farmers. We grow some blueberries, but can never have enough. Last year we went to a "pick your own" farm and at season's end got 15 quarts of blueberries for free. Last year we got 2 bushels of Concord grapes in exchange for our flock's eggs from one nearby farm. A nearby Amish farm sold us a bushel of peaches for $25 - elsewhere they were going for $30 and up.

There are a number of farmers markets in NE Ohio - 3 or 4 quite near us, but we usually stick with the ones nearest home. We only purchase a couple of things - maple syrup, honey, and some plants.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get to my local farmer's market tomorrow--as a seller :) I hope to bring eggs, loads of spinach and lettuce, green garlic, home-woven purses and baskets. Here's hoping for decent weather and lots of sales!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whee! Small farmer's market, but decent selection, especially for this time of year. Potatoes, Zuchinni, Straight & Crook neck squash, corn, tomatoes, carrots, eggplant, green beans, some pathetic looking okra, peaches, peppers, apples, peas & beans, honey and sorghum & all types of preserves, from apple jelly to zuchinni chips :) Spent about 20 bucks and got enough for dinner for the whole next week. There was more but I got tired of typing :D

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh gosh pounds! When is the USA going to go metric! So I can understand you:D.

First I have to convert Pounds to Kilos then your dollar to our dollar!!

We can get Royal Gala's for about 99 cents per kilo at the local greengrocers.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Oh gosh pounds! When is the USA going to go metric! So I can understand you:D.

First I have to convert Pounds to Kilos then your dollar to our dollar!!

We can get Royal Gala's for about 99 cents per kilo at the local greengrocers.
I agree, perhaps we should have a little sticky somewhere on this site that helps us with the conversions. :hu

I know a little about meters and centemeters and kilometers through my Montessori training, but weights I need help with.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We started to go metric 30 or 40 years ago, but it was too hard for us poor li'l Americans, boo-hoo-hoo...:hit Buncha wooses.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score