LONG SHOT, looking for property in TN - update, opinion wanted...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah id definatly be getting a FULL inspection before i signed anything...

i know old houses come with old problems, but i dont think im going to get a "perfect" house for under $30,000 lol.

im not too worried about number of outlets (as odd as that might sound) but i dont have much that plugs in...in the kitchen it might be a little more of a pain as i have a microwave, toaster oven, george forman and a coffee maker all of which i use regularly, but in terms of other rooms, i use 1 socket in the bedroom for a bedside light, 1 socket in the living with a plug board for my tv/dvd/cable box
and 1 socket for my plug board for my fishtank.

im not big on pluggy in things as they eat electricity and our current house is all electric, when you get a $400+ bill every month you learn to live without pluggy innny things.

and closets...that im not even remotly worried about, im from the uk and closets arent realy a staple there, plus i think i own 2 items that need to be hung LOL!
ive found closets tend to be just junk collection units.

according to the intial contact fomr the agent, the house is gas heat with a fireplace.

and "just needs some tlc" (i asked if it was in live in condition. lol)

i mean theres alot of "issues' im expecting (old wiring, lack of sockets, having to replace the roof ect) and moving forward with it would absolutly depend on GOOD thorough inspection. (i would be there for it and the inspector will wish hed never booked the job lol, i watch ALOT of holmes on homes LMAO!!!.

but as long as the place were to be structurally i think it might be a good deal...

would i need a seperate inspection to make sure the septic was working properly or can a general inspector check that? (never delt with septic before)

oh and its been on zillow for 231 days...which would definatly effect my offer price should this move forward...i just dont know where a good starting point would be lol.

can we tell im new at this.

and yes i know deer lodge (and the entire county) is VERY rural, very poor and very jobless, i work freelance from home so no worries there, no kids (and would home school) so no current worries there either. about an hour to cookeville and oakville i belive, and an hour and ahalf to knoxville...so location wise it could definatly work for what i want.
its aparently a beautiful area with a mild climate year round...

oh and in the LONG term should i go for it, it would eventually be a red house with a green metal roof, green front door and white trim! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd start the offer at 22k and let them counter after a good sound inspection. they likely WILL counter, but that's okay too, because it will still be less than original asking price ;) Probably more around where you want to be. I bet you can get it for around 25k if it is a good sound fixer upper as stated :) Good luck!!!!! Oh, and my brother isn't wanting to sell right now anyway :/ Dunno why :hu He was last year LOL!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cant blame him for not wanting to sell :p

my mums the same way, one week shes ready to sell up and move away form ct, the next shes talking about how she LOVES her house and just wants a winter place...
dad reminds her he can barley afford the taxes now, let alone with a second house down south lol.

well see what happens with this one...
i see an awefull lot of potential in that house (and worse come to worse there are NO restrictions so i could demol the house and put a mobile on it lol.)

i LOVE old homes, and am kinda hoping i have the chance to turn it back to its former glory.
but theres a long way to go before we get to that point lol, first i have to hear back form the realtor as to what the owner finance terms would be...and hopefully get more pictures lol (i begged the agent for some more...5 is not enough when your planning a long road trip to see one house lol.)

then its a visit to the area to check it out, and an inspection...
and then it would be negotiating...

but who knows...
if its meant to be, i could be heading to tn in time for the fall rather than the spring of next year lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That would be sweet, pinkfox!!! I really hope it is all it is cracked up to be :)

ems_chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Don't forget about termites! I've looked at a lot of nice old houses that upon further inspection, were buffets. :(

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes, termit damage and carpenter ants will be the first thing i look for, for me that goes along with being structually sound, i know LIGHT damage can be stoppe din its traks/fixed, but if im going to have to pull the house down to fix the damage, theres definatly other options available out there. lol

i HATE house eating bugs...

if i was ever building my own house it would be concrete and brick...

Latest posts