LONG SHOT, looking for property in TN - update, opinion wanted...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Savannah TN is where I go to church, and I used to live in Waynesboro ;) Great places, nice and quiet, but Waynesboro and Wayne County in general is lacking in the way of amenities...unless of course, ya like to camp :lol:

ETA: Local banks will only extend credit if you have banked with them for at least 12 months and in good standing. Our credit score was 750 when we got our house :hu We are actually through Bank of America at the moment, because our original lender went belly up and sold us out and our LOCAL BANK would not lend us the money :rant

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sucks about your local, seems silly youd think theyd want to encorage buisness, though in this ecenomic climate...cant realy blame them for wanting more than strangers wlaking in and begging for cash.

lol, no worried i will NOT be opening 15 lines of credit, i wouldnt even if they paid me to...
my 2 current cards are both just over 3 years old and both "revolving credit" i dont plan on putting ANY balance on my medical card as its an emergencies only card for medical expensies (and can only be used for such) and currently that one has a $0 balance.

my other card is with citybank, and currently has a $0 balance, but after doing some reserch and ralizing i do need some form of usage on the cards (doesnt work that way in the UK lol) ill be figuring out what i NEED and be buying it on the card, ill try to keep a running balance of no more than $100 a month on it (just under 10% of my available) and hopefully thatll give me a boost.

i cant see myself getting a personal loan or financing on anythign because theres nothing i need or realy want...though had i known i would have got a personal loan for my car and just set aside the money to pay each month...as it is i paid in cash.

but i have thought about getting an american express charge card (not revolving credit) i know a good standing amex account always reflects well on your credit score, so i might look into that further...

i can provide over 10 yrs worth of checking and saving history so no problem there.

i do understand that banks want to cover their butts in terms of limited history...
its just so frustrating, i didnt get a credit card untill i had a steady income and finnished my schooling because i didnt want to fall into a credit ditch and get all hooked in...but it turns out waiting untill i was 23 to get started has hurt me for now at least.

i mean worst comes to worst, bank of america has told me they WILL give me a mortgage if nothing changes for the worst between now and october (thats when i will have 12mths of rental history) but i dont want to move in the winter, so it would be this time next year before i could move...
and id rather not wait that long if i dont have to...lol
im sooo impatient!

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Check out for sale by owner (fsbo.com), but be sure to check everything out well. There are a lot of places around my neck of the woods that are for sale by owner, but I don't know if they are listed on this website. I am in the extreme southern end of Montgomery County, about 60 miles north of Nashville. You said you may be interested in the Paris area, may I also suggest Dover TN in Stewart County. It is a beautiful area, Land Between the Lakes is located here, and offers back country camping, campgrounds and GREAT fishing.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm not too far from Paris, very near it seems to wannabefree but farther north (since she said she goes to church in Savannah). This is a wonderful place to live... I've never lived anywhere else, hopefully never will.

We have land, husband said he would sell off a small part. We owner-financed a piece to another family. We also have rental homes, and I'm thinking that renting for a while may be what you should do, so you can get here and look around without committing to something first.

You said you prefer eastern TN, but if you get serious about the western part e-mail me and I can give you google map info of our property along with price, etc., but maybe more useful, I can gather local realtor info, including Paris and Henry County, and send to you so you can see what's listed. I used to do title searches, so I know how to get detailed financial info on any piece of property you might seriously consider, so if you find something near here I'll be happy to help out any way I can.

Paula

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have you checked out the USDA loan program? it's been a minute since i last looked at it, so i'm not up on the details anymore, but the idea is that they're a little easier to get a loan with so long as you buy property that qualifies as rural. it's kinda like a rural development boost.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i will absolutly look into that metal! i looked into fha but they seem to be a little less "rural friendly" mabe the usda is more what im looking for if i cant find an owner finance.

sheaviance1
thank you will deifnatly check into fsbo and into dover.

mom2bbjandag
id be very interested in more info.

my biggest worry about renting is 1: i have pets, i dont know how it is in tn, but here its neer impossible to rent with even 1 pet and i have a small zoo lol.
but im deifnatly interested in looking at central tn too,
the ONLY reason i was thinking about eastern is 1: i have a few contacts at the knoxville zoo from my zookeeping days, and i heard that its not as humid, but if the weathers not that variable between eastern and central tn, then theres no reason for me to NOT look further afeild...

my dad would like it if i found someplace within an hours drive to a lake so he can have a little sail boat for when he comes to visit me lol...he'll pretty much be visiting his boat and ill just be a bonus lol) which is what brought me to thinking about the paris area.

i do like country faires and fun town activities (like parades and festivals) but i dont need some huge high tech place...just some place that still has that old time small town feel, where people still get involved.

lots of wonderfull info on this board...
and one of the things that has drawn me to tn is how helpfull and frinedly people seem to be :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok folks, thanks to some linkage i might have found something with potential...
and i was wondering what others on here thought about it...

its a little 'rough" looking, ive got a feeling it would need a new roof (and would offer accordingly but have NO idea how much a new (preferably steel) roof costs in the area...and of course id have an inspection before signing anything...
its also on a less land than i was intially considering, but it would still be plenty of land to do what i want with it...(im single, how much land do i REALY need)
id eventually thin out some fo the trees infront to brighten the front of the house up and have a cut flower garden in the front, the side of the home would be fenced for the dogs, and all the "farm" would be in the back of the property where it looks to be mostly cleared.

so if anyone would be nice enough to take a look at the listing...

ive asked the agent for more pictures and as much information as humanly possible given im in ct, and explained the situations and that im planning a trip to tn in april but could move it a little sooner...
she says the owner IS willing to finance with 20% down and its been on the market for a while so offers would be welcome...

assuming it needs a new roof but everything else is structually sound, i was hoping to get it somewhere between 23,000 and 25,000 if i whent for it (to allow for the cost of the roof replaced.

i did a quick look on google maps and google earth, the front of the property where the house sits is wooded, but it looks like the rest of the 2 acres is cleared.

and if there is anyone in that area that might be willing to take a look and some additioanl pictures (please dont buy it out from under me :p) i would be extreemly apreciative...i dont know if there is anyone in the area.

its about 1 1/2 hours from knoxville and not far from cookeville so area wise its definatly in my desired driving range to an airport ect.

http://public.kaarmls.com/property/...sults.asp?K_LP_Max=40000&pt=1&K_BR=2&K_ACR=1&

thoughts?

its gas heat and id eventually install a multi fule stove, septic (ive never delt with septic before so a little worried there) and city water. (id probably eventually have the property surveyed for water and put a well in if its doable and use city as a back up.)

and to give a better idea of what im lookign to do with the land.
a small herd of dairy goats, chickens, meat rabbits and cotrinux quail, a meat pig every year (theres aparently NO restrictions but i would check into that further)
small vegie patch and a small orchard (about 1/2 acre worth) probably a trio of minature sheep that would live in the orchard too.

im not looking at raising huge numbers of animals or having a big operation, i wouldnt keep a horse on this lot, but that was on my list of possible farm animals so that would have to be taken off the plan...BUT beyond that i think for a single gal 2 acrest +/- would give me plenty of space.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Count on no closets in those bedrooms, and find out what exactly "other heat source" means. It probably means there is a hole in the wall or ceiling for a pipe for the wood stove ;) I'd check into that.

As far as cost of roofing, go to Lowe's.com and put in the zip code for local cost of the building supplies you will need. You should be able to get an idea from that.

It may or may not be a great deal! There are lots of "ifs" though. IF it is structurally sound, IF the roof is all that needs to be replaced, IF it's not condemable.....for the land and the area I'm thinking there is something not being said. What I would do were it me and my money...offer $15-18k and set a trailer on it(check codes and ordinances FIRST this is closer to the city). You may also want to make sure it is not on HWY 64 where the road is about to be widened by the state. They may take half your land if it is. They took just under an acre of my parents land for the road and right of way. My parents had 5 though, and thetrailer was way back off the road. The neighbors on the other hand...had to sell out because the proposed road will go right through the middle of where her house sits now. So, I'd check into that first. I'm not sure where Jamestown is exactly :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh and it being 111 years old...count on NOT having many electrical outlets either. I'd have someone check the wiring to be on the safe side.