Long term planning

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have no children, i have no debt, at some point i'm going to need to buy a house.

when i'm dead and gone it would be nice to be able to pass on a place to someone else without going through the hassles of buying, selling and such, so i've been considering if/when i do ever have a house to put it in some kind of trust that is managed for the benefits of things that i would like.

i mean, basically finding some people who live a life that respects this world and the other creatures in it and then giving them a place to live. i would hope to find such a person/people before i do die so at least i can control the first round of mayhem, but after that it will be in someone else's hands.

of course there would have to be some oversight and rules so that they don't trash the place and don't poison the land, but overall i would want them to have a place to live in that they don't have to pay for.

as a part of the idea would be that if they do work they would give a portion of their income to the foundation so that it can keep up the house in case of repairs needed and to make sure there are no tax problems. this would not be a requirement, but something appreciated.

if the foundation could get enough money to have more than one house going or to even become a farm that would also be ok. the problem with such things is that once you get more than one person involved in anything it gets tough to keep conflicts from dividing the efforts and results.

just kicking this around... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH has relatives who donated their estate to the Texas Parks and Wildlife group. He also mentioned the Wildlife Land trust. May not really be what you're thinking about if you're wanting the place to go to humans, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could always find a young family with similar views and let them live there with the agreement that it would belong to them when you are gone. Then if they didn't fit, you could find someone else.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it isn't big enough for a large family, small house... it will be a challenge and interesting but i have been looking in the family too just in case there are any who might be inclined. our location is not in a highly desireable area so that makes it tougher. just gotta see what happens and when.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would look into giving it to an organization that has resources for this. Such as homeless shelter or city/county housing, etc. Not exactly the same, but would keep the gift going longer.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would look into giving it to an organization that has resources for this. Such as homeless shelter or city/county housing, etc. Not exactly the same, but would keep the gift going longer.
Has anyone considered leaving their acreage to the nearest native american tribe? This has crossed my mind a few times. I'm not super-close to the nearest reservation, but maybe they could benefit anyway. Seems like the only way to make amends for our European ancestor's land-grabs.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone considered leaving their acreage to the nearest native american tribe? This has crossed my mind a few times. I'm not super-close to the nearest reservation, but maybe they could benefit anyway. Seems like the only way to make amends for our European ancestor's land-grabs.
I didn't even know this was a thing...I would totally do this. I do not think our oldest will want either piece of land, the little one might want the bigger one as she is a HUGE horse lover.

Latest posts