Look what I made!

mmtillman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Someone dumped this in our field :he or the lastest tornado dropped it :idunno , but I had no use for this hugh white tub , and was gonna just recycle it , when a lightbulb went off over my head...and this is what I came up with!!

797_dsc02758.jpg

797_dsc02753.jpg

797_dsc02753.jpg

mmtillman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
oppps...forgot to mention ....it is gonna be a planter this summer ..gonna fill it with blue morning glories.
( Does it look like a whiskey barrel?? ) Yhat is what it is supposed to look like......:idunno
Oh and I guess I should mention that I am a newbie here and am lookin forward to spending lots of time getting to know everyone and learning as much as I can about surviving the lean times to come!!
I am also a member of BYC and of TEG sites, as well. Am so glad I found this site !! My daddy would be so proud of me as he was the most frugal person ever, and he raised us kids to be , and , now I am following in his place!!! :frow

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
It does look like a whiskey barrel. Make sure you post pics of it full of morning glories. How cool that it found it's way to you.
Nice to have you here :frow

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love it!!! Can you tell us what colors of paint you used, type of paint, etc? I have been looking for something to store my couple-hundred-feet of hose in that looks nicer than big green loops in a corner near the faucet.....that would be PERFECT! Gotta make me one of those!

Thanks for the inspiration :frow

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome painting skills! Good reuse too!

mmtillman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I love it!!! Can you tell us what colors of paint you used, type of paint, etc? I have been looking for something to store my couple-hundred-feet of hose in that looks nicer than big green loops in a corner near the faucet.....that would be PERFECT! Gotta make me one of those!

Sure, I would be glad to share!! First I cleaned the tub outside to remove any oil , used rubbing alcohol. I then grabbed my spray paint box and finally found one can at was not dried up ! ;).
I used walnut brown for the base color....but would have been able to use about any earthy brown or grey. I covered the entire tub in the brown color first. Then I took the black spray paint and ever so lightly, painted up and down, with wispy hints of black, vertically.
Then I got a little can of black oil based paint and a old stiff brush and just barely put paint on the tips of the bristles, then lightly stroked downward and upward all the way around the tub to create what will look like vertical boards. Do it lightly , too.
Set it out in the sun to dry.
When that dried I masked it off with strips of damp newpaper strips and spraypainted the horizontal ''metal bands'' around the tub.
You could just mask it off with masking tape, but I didnt have an inch of tape in the house :barnie and had to improvise.
But, it worked just the same and froma distance , it should look like a whiskey barrel. You could even find one of the 55 gallon metal or plastic barrels and use that.
I wanted to try using grey paint to simulate old aged dried wood...but thought I would practice with the simpler color first!! :/
When my morning glories bloom this summer I will post a picture of the results!! :D

mmtillman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:

Note : They make that new spray paint that is made just for plastics....but I just used what I had on hand that day. To insure your paint lasting longer on a plastic surface, you might use the kind meant for plastics.
I may wake up one morning after the first big rain and find my whiskey barrel is back to being an old ugly white tub full of dirt!!! :gig

PS. I also put a 5 gallon bucket upside down in the center and will fill it with dirt today. The bucket will save lots of space so it wont take so much to fill up .It already had holes in the bottom , but I will place some stones in the bottom to help with drainage. :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome mmtillman......that looks great! What a good way to reuse, recycle. I just love when "mother nature" deposits something of use here. Altho...that doesnt happen often. I usually get paper, plastic bags, and the occasional beer can in the ditch. :rolleyes:
Cant waite to see it full of blue morning glories. I just love morning glories!!