Looking at a pig to buy

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey guys....

I have been contacted by a 4H group who have some animals for sale. Pigs, cattle and lamb. Right now I am leaning towards the pig.

The buyer letter has said that the girl wants $2.25 per pound and expects the pig to weigh in at 210....which comes to $425. She paid $200 for it as a piglet. I guess there are no pigs falling from the sky around these parts :gig

I have family that would like to go in on it, which is great, but my question is this: After the purchase price, what would we expect to pay in dispatch and butcher fees? Any rough ideas?

Also I have not received the steer info, does anyone have an idea what the per pound purchase price (live animal) would be? and again processing fees?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Saucey Dace,

Ok, first off if she paid that much for the pig it has to be some fancy breed. Is the pig a girly and cost that much because she is intended to be bred?

You know there is a butcher, I think T&H meats, San Marcos. They might be a good contact for base line prices. I know they sell meat by the half cow etc... Maybe if you get a cost on regular beef, that will give you an idea of a starting point for cost.

He could give you butchering cost on the pork as well.

How ya doing otherwise??

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Gina.

Are you still considering some pigs? I am still willing to come up and help you build a pen *hint hint*

I will call T&H and see if they can give me some guidance.

Good point on the breding thing, except her buyer letter specifically note antibiotic free meat :hu

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Don't the 4H'ers auction off the pigs?

When I was in So. Cal, they would auction them off at the fair. You should look into that (although the san diego fair is over - not sure when the Ramona auction goes on)

A friend of mine had two boys doing that for a while, not sure if they're still doing it or not, she would have pigs and lambs at her house often. I do believe they kept a couple of pigs themselves. (she LOVED her home made bacon! :gig )

She would buy her piglets from a farmer here in Nebraska, and he would bring them to San Diego. I think he had a good buisness going with all the 4h kids to be able to do that!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Dace said:
I have family that would like to go in on it, which is great, but my question is this: After the purchase price, what would we expect to pay in dispatch and butcher fees? Any rough ideas?

Also I have not received the steer info, does anyone have an idea what the per pound purchase price (live animal) would be? and again processing fees?
My friend (again) in Ramona, had a guy come to her place and did the processing on her property - in a truck or something. I can get the man's name (or try to) if you like.

Out here in the middle of cow country we pay $1 per pound live weight for beef. Processing for our half in Feb this year was $250 I think (could have been $200)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My niece actually just did lambs at the fair. My SIL had the exact amount of the killing and processing cost. I will ask her next time I see her. I am sure the fair folks use someone that cost less.

I am seriously thinking of goats and a couple pigs this fall. My youngest starts kindergarten next month. I need to figure out how to contribute to the family budget. But she is only there from 8 to 11:30. Kinda hard to find a 3 hour job.

I will definitely let you know.

gina

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here it costs about 50 bucks to have the mobiIe butcher-er come to your house. Then you pay $0.50 per pound to have it cut up and wrapped. If you want any part of it smoked, then it is $.75 per pound.

Does that heIp?

Latest posts