Looking at houses ~ NOW LAND!!! COUNTER OFFER ACCEPTED!!!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My family and I want to move off of our little .43 acre to something larger. The properties here are really expensive, but we're staying because it's beautiful eastern long island!
Tomorrow, we're looking at this one;
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_test.CFM?MLNum=2233967&typeprop=1&start=55&rpp=10
The corral is the neighbors which would leave me with an area that was mainly used as a parking lot that would need to be tilled and replenished in order to grow my organic crops. I like everything else about it so far.

Next week I'm looking at this one:
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo.cfm?mlnum=2300611&typeprop=1&phm=1
The only thing I don't like about this one so far is that it's on the corner of a busy road. The small road that the driveway is off of runs on the right side of the property, but the house faces the busy road. It's far from the road, but I'd still hear traffic all day long.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Characterwise, I love the second one but it sounds like the first has a lot more going for it. I say this as someone who lives on a dead-end road with little traffic noise. ;)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i would have to plant some noise breaker bushes/trees cause that victorian is too die for

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Love the Victorian.

HATE your property taxes!!

The property taxes on that Victorian, are more than what my house payment was for a year!!

And I thought we were getting hammered. :th

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
OMG!!! And I thought our taxes were outrageous!!!!!! Are you totally married to that area? cuz I know taxes must be cheaper elsewhere.

That said, of the two, the victorian is beautiful, and considering it needs some tlc, could be a good (as good as real estate is) investmen tbut I like the barn of the first property. depends on what animals you want

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the Hamptons folks. The taxes are sky high but well worth it! Our beaches are unmatched! I am actually paying over $7,000 in taxes on my .43 currently, so paying that same amount for 2 acres around here is a bargain!

Yeah, I love the victorian too. It's just a matter of weather I can live with the noise of the traffic.

I plan on having chickens (have them already), goats, sheep and possibly one cow. Plus a large vegetable garden and small orchard. I'd like to have a small farmstand in front of the house.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you looking at this as a long term investment or as an "until you die" property? Because that should also play a factor in your decision. The first one is not a good investment as far as resale as the second, unless it is in a much more sought after area, where there is perhaps potential for a buyout from a developer down the line. The second house has a better kitchen and bath (at least from what is shown in the pictures). You also need to look at cost per square foot. Ultimately though, this is for you. What your needs are outweigh what any perceived value is. If the property set up of the first house is what you are looking for, then that is what you should get. If charm potential resale of the second become a higher priority then you put an offer on that one. Of course you could always do what my MIL does when she can't decide on her next property, put an offer on both, and see what happens!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, we looked at the first house today and didn't like it. The kitchen was cramped, the floors were awful, and I didn't even like the property. The best thing about it is the shop (barn).

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
Are you looking at this as a long term investment or as an "until you die" property? Because that should also play a factor in your decision. The first one is not a good investment as far as resale as the second, unless it is in a much more sought after area, where there is perhaps potential for a buyout from a developer down the line. The second house has a better kitchen and bath (at least from what is shown in the pictures). You also need to look at cost per square foot. Ultimately though, this is for you. What your needs are outweigh what any perceived value is. If the property set up of the first house is what you are looking for, then that is what you should get. If charm potential resale of the second become a higher priority then you put an offer on that one. Of course you could always do what my MIL does when she can't decide on her next property, put an offer on both, and see what happens!
These are good questions. I'm basically looking for a small homestead where I can grow produce for ourselves and sell some of our bounty to the public. My husband wants a shop where he can do his woodwork and we'd like it to be an enjoyable place to live. I stay at home with my two young children so I have to really like being there. It is certainly possible that when my husband and I retire that we'd sell and move again.

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, if this is any perspective. There is NOTHING within 1,000 miles of me that meets the criteria of:

0-10 acres
No land use preference (either livestock or crop)
House (any number of bedrooms and bathrooms)
Under 425K (I figure with the exchange rate, thats about the same as the asking price of the Victorian)

That Victorian looks fabulous. I look forward to hearing how it is in real life.