Looking for advice on raising rabbits for meat

kenzie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Haunt local swap meet and livestock sale groups to see what breeds are glutted in your area and which command higher prices. In my area, mixes have little or no value - lucky to get $5 for one. Netherland dwarf are bred a lot here too. French Angora do pretty well around me - not a whole lot of them being sold and they're holding $40+ prices and moving fast.

I would plan on feeding production animals pellets. Your buck(s) and rabbits that arent currently producing can eat hay. Timothy or grass hay. Alfalfa is too rich for being the main diet.
I've seen tons of rabbits at a livestock trading event that's at my feed store, but I've never asked what breeds. What breeds do you raise?

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kenzie, you are in Georgia? I just started raising rabbits and decided on TAMUK variety to start. This is a composite breed developed at Texas A&M for the hot summers. They have fairly large ears, lighter (though soft and pretty) fur and breed young (does at 4 months). They have good meat to bone ratio and feed conversion. And come in a multitude of colors.

They are definitely not show rabbits so I don't have that avenue. OTOH I don't have to bother with pedigrees either. But my plan otherwise is similar to that presented by tortoise - to sell whatever sells for pet/meat/breeding and send the rest to freezer camp. I haven't butchered yet but the videos are such that it looks much easier than chickens.

I am mentioning them to you because I see demand across the south on one group I am in. I had to drive 5 hours in two different directions to get my starting stock. It's just a thought. I would definitely research as mentioned above to see what would be good for you where you live.