Looking for an Alaskan farmer to talk to

farmseeker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in Colorado, just outside Boulder and want to move to Wasilla, AK to farm. I'm trained in Bio Dynamic Organic and have even taught the method to others.

Anyone from Alaska care to shoot the breeze with me?

Jen:D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
farmseeker said:
I'm in Colorado, just outside Boulder and want to move to Wasilla, AK to farm. I'm trained in Bio Dynamic Organic and have even taught the method to others.

Anyone from Alaska care to shoot the breeze with me?

Jen:D
I'm from Alaska! Not a "farmer" per say, but we do have a mini farm.
We are good friends with one large organic farmer. Wolverine Farms.
And we run a raw milk co-op for another farmer.

Farming land is not what you might think here ;)

farmseeker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Do tell! Where do you live? I saw the website for I want to say Wolverine farms today. I want to hear about all the differences between farming in the lower 48 versus AK. I want to hear about your experiences and your "what the....??" situations that you never saw coming!

And which farm are you talking about near Wasilla? I saw one for sale the other day and now I can't find it so I assumed it sold. It had vertical tin red roofs on everything, just under 9 acres, had house, garage, barn, green house.....

So glad you responded!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I lived near Boulder I would want to move too :gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
farmseeker said:
Do tell! Where do you live? I saw the website for I want to say Wolverine farms today. I want to hear about all the differences between farming in the lower 48 versus AK. I want to hear about your experiences and your "what the....??" situations that you never saw coming!

And which farm are you talking about near Wasilla? I saw one for sale the other day and now I can't find it so I assumed it sold. It had vertical tin red roofs on everything, just under 9 acres, had house, garage, barn, green house.....

So glad you responded!
Its the dairy farm that is for sale.
We have a dream of someone buying it and turning it into a fully grass fed dairy.
Grass all summer, and hay and root veges in winter.
I would buy it, but we do not have funds, and Dh is not interested in full time farming.

Right now it supplies the creamery, and hundreds of raw milk customers throughout the Valley and Anchorage.
The land is a separate sale from the herd though.

We live in Willow (not really a town) , 20 minutes north of Wasilla.

I have had to relearn how to garden, and that is an ongoing process.
I spent most of my life in Kansas, and the growing process and season in Alaska is polar opposites from there.

No tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers or most herbs, unless you have a good greenhouse.
I have a dream of two hoop houses that will house meat birds for a couple of years, then will have a hot manure heap in the center for heat, and veges all around.
The hoops will then alternate chickens and veges each year.
There are a few that mess around with corn, but its usually a huge waste of time and money.

Root crops, greens, cabbage, peas, rhubarb and the like are always winners up here.

Ummm.... not sure what all to say now.
Ask me specifics :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One thing that Larry DeVilibis ( Wolverine farms, grass fed beef) is trying to teach other area farmers, is to stop using chemicals on their hay fields.
He has been using Fishmeal for several years now, and his hay is wonderful.
We have used it and can attest to its being superior in quality.
Right now, because we were trying to save money, we bought 2 5 foot bales from another friend, and let me tell you :sick
The hay is poor quality ( I did not see it till it was here) and LOTS of mold.
I am cutting away the good stuff, and am thankful that I can at least grow lots of potatoes in the stuff this summer.
So its not a total loss.

farmseeker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey BB (bubblingbrooks)-

Thanks for the responses! The specifics I'm asking for are things like what kinds of crops just DON"T make it up there, what do you do about the LARGE land mammals? Do they come through and get destructive? We've got bears here in Colorado so I'm used to watching for them but they are the bigger variety up in AK. If I have a few animals do I have to worry about locking them allll up at night or just the small ones? or? Should I fence in the greenhouses or ....or? I don't know! Also, I'm planning on having wind and solar. Are there any local dealers near Wasilla for those things or do I get those down here and bring them with me?

I'm not looking for anything dairy related for purchase, that's for sure. I might get a few fiber goats or a llama or alpaca to do some felting but that's it. The way I farm, I need a wide variety of animals but not a large number, which is nice.

Your hoop house idea sounds cool!!!!! Very clever of you.

I'd really like no less than 10/15 acres if you know of anything else for sale. I'm hitting the internet hard looking for stuff and not finding much.

Fish emulsion is THE BOMB! I love it and it's a wonderful product. I'm glad people up there use it! I wouldn't grow anything any other way! Good to know about the trouble with grass hay up there. I have a few ideas to address that but I'd have to be up there to actually get my hands in the soil. Chemicals are SO BAD for the earth! Not to mention the people putting stuff from the earth in their mouths!

Keep it coming BB! You're very helpful and have got me thinking of some new stuff!

Thanks!

Jen

farmseeker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A big Hello to I_am2bz!

Thanks for the welcome! I am so grateful I found this forum!!!!!

I spent A LOT of my childhood on the NC coast and fell in love with it all so I'm a bit jealous of you!

Jen