Looking for Broody Hen pics

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Awww!

What kind are those blue/gray hens, Dammumis?

I remember once we had a hen hatch out a bunch of chicks and the same day, one of our cats, Ring, had kittens just inches away.. She left the chickies alone!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everyone was posting the softer side of broody, I posted my reality from this year :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would post a pic of a broody, if mine hadnt fell prey to a varmit.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Beekissed said:
The first is indeed a White Rock but the second is a mutt EE~she was a perpetual broody that wasn't a good enough mother to earn a place in the flock for long. She got culled after the first year and a half.

I had another pic of a New Hamp with adopted chicks but I lost it somewhere on here.

Barred, that WR was a broody that I slipped 20 meaty chicks under last spring...if you will look closely you will see all these little orange legs sticking out from under her! :lol:

She raised them all successfully and I didn't lose a one.
Dang!! I would probably keep that hen forever. I might get some of those. What hatchery did they come from?
I got all my chicks from MyPetChicken.com but I think they get theirs from various hatcheries, one of which is Meyers.

I have a White Rock, a New Hamp, a Black Aussie go broody every spring and a couple of times in the summer....never do mark which ones, I just take advantage of it when I need to do so.

I raised this last batch of chicks in June under a New Hamp.

5_jons_grad_pics_meaties_at_8_new_chicks_018.jpg

Most of the time I let them try to raise their own...have had some failures but I think I know why now and won't make that mistake again.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
BarredBuff said:
Beekissed said:
The first is indeed a White Rock but the second is a mutt EE~she was a perpetual broody that wasn't a good enough mother to earn a place in the flock for long. She got culled after the first year and a half.

I had another pic of a New Hamp with adopted chicks but I lost it somewhere on here.

Barred, that WR was a broody that I slipped 20 meaty chicks under last spring...if you will look closely you will see all these little orange legs sticking out from under her! :lol:

She raised them all successfully and I didn't lose a one.
Dang!! I would probably keep that hen forever. I might get some of those. What hatchery did they come from?
I got all my chicks from MyPetChicken.com but I think they get theirs from various hatcheries, one of which is Meyers.

I have a White Rock, a New Hamp, a Black Aussie go broody every spring and a couple of times in the summer....never do mark which ones, I just take advantage of it when I need to do so.

I raised this last batch of chicks in June under a New Hamp.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_jons_grad_pics_meaties_at_8_new_chicks_018.jpg

Most of the time I let them try to raise their own...have had some failures but I think I know why now and won't make that mistake again.
Okay thanks. Ive been researching to find who has had broody hens from hatcheries. Im working towards a reproductive flock. Im definitely gonna order Aussies, Buff Orps (always wanted some), White Rocks (most likely), and maybe New Hamps instead of Rhode Island Reds. Any broody partridge rock people out there?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I love these pics!

I am writing specifically about chickens, but the rest of broody fowl deserve their day in the sun as well.

Did that turkey hen really cover all of those eggs! WOW.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She hatched 30 babies this year! She was in rough shape by the time we locked her out of her nest, skinny legs and began to molt immediately.