Looking For Fresh Fig Use Ideas, Bumper Crop..!!

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm in the mist fo a bumper crop of figs. I'd like to make some fig jam or preserves, but all the recipes i've seen all seem to have tons of sugar which i can do without..! I don't want to use splenda or the likes.Does anyone have a recipe for preserves or jam without so much sugar.? Has anyone here any experience with dried figs..? How did they come out..? I'd love to hear what those do with fresh figs, after you get tired of eating them off the tree...

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lucky you! My husband would be swooning over that many figs. I just bought a small fig tree, so hopefully I'll have the same problem in a few years.

I would think figs would dry very well, but I'm just guessing.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Fig preserves. Make a batch with strawberries thrown in. (Frozen strawberries will work). I usually make my strawberry/figs more like a marmalade. I also dehydrate some which I chop up and use in muffins and breads. I freeze some whole. My granddaughter loves a frozen fig on a stick. She thinks it a popsicle.
I know there must be other ways but I ran out of figs before I ran out of Google.

S

sunsaver

Can them in light syrup. The sugar is to help preserve them and prevent food poisoning. You don't have to drink the syrup. Bread and crackers or corn chips are much worse for you than eating canned figs.
Layer a roasting pan with figs. Take a boston butt pork shoulder and rub it down with garlic, salt, pepper, sage, parsley, and a dash of thyme. Place it on top of the figs. Add four oz. of apple juice. Surround the pork roast with small red potatos, chopped onion, and carrots. Roast, tightly covered, at 275 for 1 1/2-2 hours. Uncover and roast for 30 min. or until top is brown. Save the drippings for gravy and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I'm in the mist fo a bumper crop of figs. I'd like to make some fig jam or preserves, but all the recipes i've seen all seem to have tons of sugar which i can do without..! I don't want to use splenda or the likes.Does anyone have a recipe for preserves or jam without so much sugar.? Has anyone here any experience with dried figs..? How did they come out..? I'd love to hear what those do with fresh figs, after you get tired of eating them off the tree...
Use Pomonas pectin fpr making jam and jelly, and either very small amounts of Evaporated cane juice, or honey, or a blend of both.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing everyone, some great sounding ideas and recipes...!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got this off the internet. Hope you enjoy (or that someone does). Maybe it will give some inspiration.

Recipe: Grilled figs with pancetta and Point Reyes blue cheese
Michael Chiarello, "Bottega" Ingredients
8 Black Mission figs
1/2 cup blue cheese, cut into cubes
8 prosciutto (thinly sliced, cut in half lengthwise)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
Preheat grill. You will need medium to high heat for grilling. The key is to crisp the prosciutto quickly and leave the blue cheese just melted with the inner part of the fig cool in temperature.

Cut the figs in half and place a piece of blue cheese on each fig half. Wrap the prosciutto around each fig half, covering the cheese. The ends of the prosciutto should overlap.

Grill each piece until the prosciutto begins to color and crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill, lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Serving Size
Makes 4 servings