Looking for Land to Homestead?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I see how expensive land is in most of the US, and I just thought that I'd pass along a Craigslist ad that shows what is available in northern Arkansas if you take the time to look. I'm not connected with this land in any way, I'm just passing it along FWIW.

40 +- acres
That is a good deal at $1500 an acre and is hard to find in smaller lots, I have been looking and the norm is $5000+ when only a few acres are concerned.
In regard to large parcels I don't think you need much to be simple sufficient as 1 acre will grow all your food with plenty room for chickens. Having more gives you a neighbor buffer and perhaps some trees to harvest but not necessary for a simple life especially if you don't have a lot of money to start with. Waiting to buy that 40 acre spread may just cost you in the long run by rising prices and never ending zone constrictions.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here's another 80 acre tract for sale, and this one is fairly close to me. As with the previous acreage, I'm in no way connected to the land or the sellers. I haven't done the math, but off the top of my head I would say that it is less than $1400 an acre. That's not too bad for property with two wells, 5 stock ponds, and a 75 x 50 shop. Too bad they didn't include pictures of the shop...

There are bargains out there, especially in this economic environment.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw this out there again...my folk's house in Maine needs to be sold and they will consider "any reasonable offer." They were asking 59K but would consider much, much less at this point. They live close to me now due to serious health concerns.

The house is move-in ready and could even come with some furniture, dishes, etc. There is a new LARGE garage with a cedar closet, a new VERY insulated coop, four acres. New floors throughout, newer roof, siding, heating system, etc. Fairly remote and in an area where the culture supports gleaning crops and walking on farmland to forage respectfully. Lots of hunting and fishing and snowmobiling. Stunning views. I lived there as a teenager when we were at our most self sufficient. I even gleaned straw for free for bedding for the animals. Hundreds of pounds of potatoes, free for the gleaning. ETC.

I WISH we could afford this house right now, I'd buy it and rent it. It would be a great place to escape to, and the rental business is booming in the area for snowmobilers and hunters.

Email for pics.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx that is one nice looking piece of land. I love the Ozarks.

:ep Now that is a smoking deal Free. I can't believe someone has not snatched it up.

Do you have any pictures??

G

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
k0xxx that is one nice looking piece of land. I love the Ozarks.

:ep Now that is a smoking deal Free. I can't believe someone has not snatched it up.

Do you have any pictures??

G
Northern Arkansas is kind of like the last frontier for reasonably priced acreage, until you get out west. Just cross the border into Missouri and the prices nearly double. The area has very low property taxes, but we also have very low employment opportunities. There just isn't any industry to speak of here, hence the low cost of living.

No photos of the land in question. I only came across the info and passed it along in case anyone might be interested. I do have some general pictures of the area, though.