looking for rivets

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could buy or order rivets to use for riveting knife handles?I been using copper wire but rather have the rivets,I have searched every hardware store,flea market within 50 miles and no luck,I buy every old handmade butcher I can find and try to restore them,most of the knives I find either has broken handles or broken blades but with a bit of t.l.c. I can bring them back again,,I have quite a selection,I wish they could talk and tell me where they been,,,the stroies they could tell would be interesting,,thanks everyone

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I saw an ad in WOOD magazine for restoring knives. I'll try to find it. One of those ads in the back pages.

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As a scadian I have searched high and low for rivets that will last, and you can find quick rivets in many hardware stores but I actually find a good nail and a washer makes a much better hand made rivet then those, and cheaper. You have to find a washer with a small enough hole that it barely fits the nail, cut the nail off just long enough to have a little bit sticking above the washer then use a ball peen hammer to slowly flatten out the nail to hold on the rivet. It may not look quite as nice as a commercial quick rivet so might not work 100% for restoring knives, but it works well on my armour.

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thanks for the information,I had a thought (came to me about 3 am this morning ,years ago auto mechanics used to use rivets to install brake pads to the original brake shoe.knock out the old rivet and replace them with new,I need two different sizes,male and female type,copper wire works great,also the washer and nail is a great idea,but the rivets make for easier installing,back in the day the pioneers used pieces of brass for rivets but I found that to be hard to work with a ballpeen hammer,brass welding rods cut to length works good but hard to work,I hate to have ballpeen hammer marks on a new handle ,but my aim is a bit off,,thanks again

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We order tons of things from McMaster-Carr. Their prices are reasonable and they ship most items same day.