Looking for un-sweet squash variety

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I discovered last year the reason I don't like squash is the sweetness. I had an immature squash that I liked a lot. I was hoping to find a variety that tastes like that. Any ideas?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I discovered last year the reason I don't like squash is the sweetness. I had an immature squash that I liked a lot. I was hoping to find a variety that tastes like that. Any ideas?
Most immature fruit is less sweet than ripe fruit, but they don't go to market that way. grow your own and taste them to find the stage you like. immature crook neck are one I enjoy.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
tortoise said:
Most immature fruit is less sweet than ripe fruit, but they don't go to market that way. grow your own and taste them to find the stage you like. immature crook neck are one I enjoy.
Indeed, supermarket sells ripe and not immature ones. growing your own can definitely fulfill the satisfaction that you need. ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of squash you had? I can't say as I ever accused zuchinni of being sweet. Or yellow squash either. Maybe you have been eating the winter type squashes which are sweeter and often times substituted for pumpkin in pies. Yes, definately grow your own, the taste is soooooooooo much better! :thumbsup

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you could grow butternut squash.. one of the blandest most over grown squashes ever.. ick blechy. :sick (can ya tell I love a good aged sweet winter squishy? )Should be just what you are looking for! ;) and on the matter of squashes and not wanting a "sweet" squash if you harvest early to get them the flavor you wish many will be immature and will rot in storage so if I was you I'd pick at the stage you like and then process them right away and freeze or dehydrate at that stage. The longer you store most winter squashes the sweeter they get as the starches do start to convert to sugars.
Now most of the summer type squashes to me are very "bland" in flavor but I still love them as I can slice/dice/spiral them and add what I want to enhance the flavors.(oh my! raw with a touch of sea salt and ranch dip yummy) I do love my mini "baby" summer squashes. haven't found one yet that was sweet.. but have found a few that were "nutty" after grilling them.. hope that helps a bit.. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't like any kind of squash that I know of! The smell of squash cooking makes me want to puke. The one I had was an immature acorn squash. It tasted like a potato. It had zero flavor. It was good! :)

Spaghetti squash is OK for me, but my fiance doesn't like it because it doesn't "stick with him".

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd go for acorns. They're pretty much tastless, especially the modern varieties. I found Thelma Sanders to have a lot of flavor and sweetness, so avoid that :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha, I love squash. Fried yellow/zuchinni squash, steamed with butter, squash cassarole, squash lasagne, and squash pizza! Baked winter squash with butter, honey and cinnamon. Yum!

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love squash. Fried yellow/zuchinni squash, steamed with butter, squash cassarole, squash lasagne, and squash pizza! Baked winter squash with butter, honey and cinnamon. Yum!
Same goes here..