Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
In other news...I got my meaties late Wednesday night...which I thought was weird cause I usually get them in the mornings early but they had either been delivered to the post office late or had been sitting there all day and no one bothered to call me. Either way I have lost 11 out of 35 so far. I called Meyer's this morning and told them that I had lost 11 out of 35 in less than 36 hours and that they just didn't look as vigorous as they should...not eating or drinking like they ought to and that I wanted replacement birds. I also put a second heat lamp in my brooder today so that the chicks could spread out and maybe that would help with piling if that was the issue. I woke up to 9 dead birds this morning. I lost 2 the first day. They have electrolytes in their water and they have ample space to get away from the heat source if need be so I don't know what's going on. The new batch will ship on the 11th.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I want to try giving my kids those type of learning experiences as well as their public school learning.

I definitely don't want to take my kids back out of school - my DD just joined band, and her trumpet is arriving next Tuesday. That's an experience I can't give her from home, as the lessons are free through the school. We were able to get a rental on the trumpet, and she has a 2 month trial period where if the trumpet doesn't agree with her she can switch instruments, or just give the trumpet back with no repercussions. But she's tried several different instrutments (clarinet, flute, sax, and drums) before she settled on trumpet, so I think she's pretty determined that this is the instrument for her.

I would like to get all of my kids regular piano lessons, but that's not going to happen for awhile.

Swim lessons, too.

These are just 2 examples of the types of learning I want for my kids outside of public school :p

I want them to learn the importance of family, too, and that's something we work on daily - family dinners, talks when we want them to understand why something is bad, working together to clean the house, do chores, etc.

I want the fun we have to be learning experiences, too, and that's the part I'm not good at yet.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think the one thing that having a teaching degree has come in handy with is knowing lots of useless random facts....I had to take a lot of different subject areas to get my elementary degree so I know just enough about a lot of stuff to be dangerous.... :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I think the one thing that having a teaching degree has come in handy with is knowing lots of useless random facts....I had to take a lot of different subject areas to get my elementary degree so I know just enough about a lot of stuff to be dangerous.... :lol:
I wish we lived closer, so I'd have you for an example!! :lol: (which could prove dangerous for us both in farm projects!)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
HA! You, me, Becca and Laura in a room together....watch out!!! Now if we could just get OFG over here! :gig I'd love for all of us to go on a hunting trip together....could you just picture all of us in a room....with firearms!!! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
My incision needs to heal a little more before I go shooting! :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So I got up this morning and had another dead chick...last night I had one that was iffy so I figured that would happen. I told the lady from Meyers that I had lost 11 and had 2 that looked iffy so she put in an order for 11 replacement chicks but they usually send extras so hopefully I will be okay. I got 37 and have lost 12 so far. The rest looked good this morning though and were running around and eating and drinking, the extra heat lamp seems to be helping a bit.

The kids are extra whiny today and are driving me nuts. I'm about to send them outside so I can read a homeschooling book in peace. Chad has disappeared. I'm sure he's puttering around in the garage or something.

Last night he went hunting with his brother that lives next door, M, and M killed his first deer with a bow. They sat in a ground blind together and apparantly had a wonderful time of it but we ended up processing the deer for him cause he's clueless. We finished at 10:30 last night but he said he just wants to keep the tenderloins and a roast and the front shoulders for his grandma and we can keep the rest. His wife won't eat deer meat....:rolleyes:

He got a lesson from Chad on butchering, our friend down the road got all the innerds and bones for her dogs, and we got a little bit of meat. We are marinating a good piece of the hind quarter to slow cook on the grill either tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking tomorrow cause I made a meatloaf with mashed potatoes, green beans, and fried apples last night for dinner and we definitely have enough for tonight.

Today I just want to veg but Chad is antsy...I may see if he'll take the kids fishing so I can just sit here in peace and quiet for a little bit. I honestly would like to go back to bed for a while...I'm tired. Tyler crawled into bed with us early this morning so the extra body in the bed didn't help.

I also am watching Aliana...yesterday she had a bit of discharge on her vulva when I got her up to milk and today she had a lot of discharge and her tail feathering was crusty with it too so what does that mean goat people? We bred her Wednesday afternoon and she stood for the buck for over an hour. Should I be watching to see if she is in heat again....I just don't want her to get an infection or anything...this is the first time I've bred a goat.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They can go into heat about 5 days after their last breeding. The discharge could also be from the breeding. You could always take her back and see if will stand for the male again.