Losing chickens

more_frosting

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. Over the last 6 weeks, I'm losing roughly a chicken a week. They look perfectly healthy one day and the next, I find one dead.

At first, I thought it was due to their age as it was the older ones dying, but then a couple of the younger chickens died.

I can't see any signs of red mite in the coop as I'm quite strict with the cleaning and can't see any other health problems, such as sneezing, nasal discharge or eye infections. Just wondering if there's anything else I should look out for?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with @Beekissed. Have a necropsy done or do it yourself and see if anything looks odd.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My advice is to call your veterinarian and arrange to bring the next dead one for necropsy. They'll know what diseases and parasites are a concern in your area, or if something is going around! In USA even backyard flocks are [supposed to be] registered so when there are outbreaks everyone gets notified if they're in a concern or quarantine area. It's helpful to get insight from the people who know what risks are in your area and what is going around your area right now.

I am very curious, so if you find out please update!

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@more_frosting what happened? Are you on BYC, backyard chickens, they will be able to help so much with this. I highly recommend you join. How are you chickens doing? Did you figure out what was happening?