Louisiana Citrus Crop for sale

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a question and I'm hoping a northerner reads this and gives me an honest answer.
I just thought maybe I'd try to sell boxes of 40Lb citrus on amazon and I checked the best shipping rates and the cheapest I could get a 40Lb box of oranges from my hometown to Washington, DC was 29.65. Now if I sell a box for $25 and add the S&H it would come out to $54.65. What would you people in cold climates now pay for fresh oranges by the Lb? Seems to me, my fruit would cost someone in Washington, DC $1.36. Now I think thats kinda steep, but I can get it easy, where someone from the north can't. Please respond. The only thing is I can assure the buyer of the exact origin of the fruit and promise no chemicals have touched the orchard in at least 5 years, that I know of, but not sure I can compete with the price of the local grocers.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just checked the circular for 2 stores here. In one, a 4 lb bag of navel oranges is $2.49. In the other, 3 large oranges is $1.99.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just checked the circular for 2 stores here. In one, a 4 lb bag of navel oranges is $2.49. In the other, 3 large oranges is $1.99.
Deb's numbers are about comparable to here in NE Ohio. The pricing difference is usually based on sizing, so it's not so much the price per pound, but the number of oranges per pound - the larger the fruit, the higher the price. (typically so, based on my experience working in a grocery store produce department for 6 years - not trying to insult your intelligence, Rhoda, I am sure you knew this, but not everyone does know it).

to bad you couldn't ferment that fruit for adult beverages! :D

Last edited:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, we have some of that too, FJ. But it takes an extra year to get it smooth enough to really enjoy.
And the amount of fruit I'm talking about would get all of Lafourche Parish drunk.
I'm working out something that I hope will at least possibly market this years crop and will get my godchild to help me post pics on amazon.
I do have to half promises for next year though. If all else fails, I will donate to Second Harvest and even if they don't come, the local wildlife will continue feasting. I don't mind putting a few coons in the freezer.